For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, October 5, 2018
• El Tejon Middle School parents, enjoy donuts and coffee with Principal Wallace at 9 a.m. in Room 8.
Saturday, October 6, 2018
• A Guitar Party & Chili Fest is 2–4 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room, hosted by the PMC Guitar Society. Admission is free. There will be a guitar exhibit (show/sell/trade), special guest performances and $5 chili and cornbread. All proceeds go to fund next year’s GuitarFest.
Sunday, October 7, 2018
• ‘Pinocchio: The Musical’ is performed at 2 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room. Tickets are just $8, but are limited. Call 661.243.8022 or 661.242.3788 to reserve seats for this or future performances. See story and ad on page 10 for photos, dates and ticket reservation information.
• Holiday Faire and Festival of Lights is coming and you are needed! Be part of this year’s events at a planning meeting, 5 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s Pizza. Volunteerism is the heart of community: bring the family and help make this beloved tradition a great success. See story page 12.
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
• Square Dancing is 7–9 p.m. at Cuddy Hall (335 Lakewood Dr., Lake of the Woods). This fun gathering happens every Tuesday. For more information call Bethel (661.245.1882).
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
• Affordable flu shots are offered for $9 (cash only) 10 a.m.–noon and 1–3 p.m. at the Pine Mountain clubhouse. See page 9 for more information.
• Senior Sack provides healthy food staples from 10 a.m. to noon at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center. Eligible recipients (with an annual income below $15,000) register once for $2, then may pick up a sack of fresh fruits and veggies, bread, boxed staples and canned food twice a month. Learn more about this program of the Golden Empire Gleaners at www.goldenempiregleaners.com/senior-sack.
• Fostering Girl Power: The Mountain Girls, a club for all Mountain Community girls (4th–8th grade), meets 2:30–4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain. Each meeting features a new guest speaker, adventure or cool thing to learn about. The Mountain Girls meets on the second and fourth Wednesday (note the change from Tuesdays). To RSVP and get location information, text or call 661.808.7959.
Thursday, October 11, 2018
* The Halloween Movies in the Clubhouse series continues at 6 p.m. in PMC’s Condor Room with Nanny McPhee, starring Colin Firth.
• The ETUSD school board meeting is open to the public, 6:30 p.m. at the Frazier Mountain High School Continuation Building (700 Falcon Way, Lebec). With elections next month, come learn first-hand what the issues are so you can knowledgeably vote for school board candidates.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Enjoy helping a child learn to read: Be a volunteer reading tutor at Frazier Park School. Just one hour a week can make a massive difference for the future of a young person. Call 661.245.3312 to sign up, right now, today! You will be so glad you did.
• Family Stargazing Night is Friday, Oct. 12, 6–10 p.m. at the FMHS football field (700 Falcon Way, Lebec). Kern Co. Astronomical Society will provide telescopes for community use. Admission is $1 for just stargazing (7:30–10 p.m.) and a burger meal is available for $7 (6–7:30 p.m.). This cool event is sponsored by El Tejon School.
• A narrated car tour of the famous Old Ridge Route will be led by Ridge Route Communities Museum historian Bonnie Kane, Saturday, Oct. 13 starting at 10 a.m. The 3-hour tour goes from Gorman to the Tumble Inn. Cost is $15, which includes an illustrated history map handout. For reservations and meet-up information, call 661.245.7747. You’ll love it.
• Restless Beginnings by local author Tina Hogan Grant is the focus of a book signing and talk on Saturday, Oct. 13, 3–5 p.m. at the Frazier Park library. Her novel, based on true events, is about the chaos, secrecy and shame of living with a heroin addict.
• Truck-Smashing and Tacos: A Taco Night fundraiser for Frazier Mountain Little League is Saturday, Oct. 13, 4–7 p.m. next to Falcon’s Nest in the South Kern Christian Church parking lot (3224 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). There will be $1 tacos, hot rods and a real truck-smashes-car spectacle.
• An artist’s reception for Tim Ellis is Saturday, Oct. 13, 5 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery in Pine Mountain Village (16233 Pine Valley Lane).
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
One Book Project runs Sept.–Oct.: Incarceration Nations by Baz Dreisinger
Friday, Oct. 5
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coffee and coloring for adults)
Saturday, Oct. 6
•9 a.m. Yoga
•1 p.m. Writers workshop
Tuesday, Oct. 9
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•3:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wed., Oct. 10
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
Thursday, Oct. 11
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Barks & Books
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the October 5, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.