Send Mountain Community events to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 245-3794.
Now through March
- Greater Frazier Mountain Phone Book advertising and changes: final deadline March 12. Call 245-3794 for details
- Casino Night pre-sale tickets available at Ace Hardware, The Mountain Enterprise and Lebec Storage, event is March 13, $25/500 chips, 245-3991 or 242-8174
- Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid). See www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Now through April
- Center of the World Festival accepting plays for August 2010 readers theater competition, see www.centeroftheworldfestival.org for guidelines
Thursday, March 4
- The Wall That Heals: a replica of the Vietnam War Memorial at Stramler Park in Bakersfield, 8 a.m. opening ceremonies (then open 24 hours through 7 p.m. Sunday, Mar. 7) 3805 Chester Ave, free, (661) 868-7303
- AARP potluck meeting 12 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, 245-2234
- Frazier Park School’s Annual Scholastic Book Fair, 3149 San Carlos Tr., Rm 3. Teachers/guests will read to students and Repicci’s Ice will sell Italian ice, funnel cakes and more 2:05-4 p.m. in Room 4. Book fair open 1-3 p.m. daily through Friday, March 5.
Friday, March 5
- Shepherd of the Mountain Lutheran Church rummage sale 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Church fellowship hall, 6700 Lakewood Drive, 245-3858
Saturday, March 6
- Competition Dance Team’s rummage sale 8 a.m.-2 p.m. The Dance Studio, behind Cavey’s, 3640 Mt. Pinos Way, FP. Call Suzy 245-6840 for donation pickup
- Shepherd of the Mountain Lutheran Church rummage sale 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Church fellowship hall, 6700 Lakewood Drive, 245-3858
- Dragoon Era Living History at Fort Tejon State Historical Park. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. $2-5 admission ($14 maximum for families). 248-6692 or www.forttejon.org
- Artist of the Month Reception for Matt Harrington 11a.m.-4 p.m., Work of Heart Gallery (3020 Johnson Rd, behind the Coffee Cantina), light refreshments
- Preschool Storytime at Frazier Park Library 2 p.m. has stories and activities for young children. Free. 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Pk, 245-1267, continues every Saturday
- Ladybug Hunt up East End Drive in Frazier Park led by Naturalist Joel Robinson 2-6 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (714) 649-9084
- Buffet Reception celebrating the first year anniversary of the Firefighter Paramedic program in Pine Mountain, 7 p.m. Live music by the Madd Dogs. Awards presented to Chief Dunn and medics of Station 58. Condor Room of Pine Mountain Clubhouse. All invited.
- Tommy Osuna and Friends live at the Work of Heart Gallery 7-10 p.m. 3011 Mt. Pinos Way, call 245-3166 to reserve tickets ($10)
Sunday, March 7
- Hike to Pine Mountain Waterfall led by Naturalist Joel Robinson 2-6 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com or call (714) 649-9084
Monday, March 8
- Job Resource Expo hosted by Congressman Kevin McCarthy 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Bakersfield Downtown Mariott, 801 Truxtun Ave, (661) 327-3611. Over 50 businesses and organizations participating, free (no RSVP required)
Tuesday, March 9
- Frazier Park Estates Hearing at Kern County Board of Supervisors rescheduled to Tuesday, April 20 Supervisors’ Chambers, 1115 Truxtun Ave., Bakersfield. Planning Dept. 862-8866.
Thursday, March 11
- Bakersfield SBDC workshop: Necessary forms in the employment relationship 8-9:30 a.m., UC Center, 2000 K Street, 3rd floor, Bakersfield. Free, to register: (877) 826-7232
- Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s mobile office hours 10-11 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way. Call (661) 327-3611 to make your appointment with a representative.
Friday, March 12
- Deadline for ads/changes in the Greater Frazier Mtn Cmmty Phone Book. Call 245-3794
- Frazier Mountain High School Blood Drive 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Call Dani (661) 361-8639.
- Mountain Shakespeare Festival Auditions for 2010’s Taming of the Shrew and The Odd Couple 6 p.m. Kung Fu Studio, 3532 Mt. Pinos Way, FP, 242-6904
- Tack and Saddle Auction 6 p.m. preview, 7 p.m. auction, Bakersfield Elks Lodge 1616 30th Street, Bakersfield, (541) 592-6292
- *Pine Mountain Club Town Hall 7 p.m. Clubhouse Condor Room, opportunity for new residents to talk with first responders.
Saturday, March 13
- Tejon Conservancy Hike: All spaces are filled, www.tejonconservancy.org
- Condor Group of the Sierra Club Wind Wolves Preserve hike, meet in Pine Mountain 8:30 a.m., meet at Flying J 9 a.m. Must have reservations and waiver signed 242-0432
- Veterans for Trees ceremony to plant first tree 10 a.m. Cody Prosser Veterans Memorial, Frazier Mountain Community Park, www.veteransfortrees.org
- Preschool Storytime at Frazier Park Library 2 p.m. has stories and activities for young children. Free. 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Pk, 245-1267, every Saturday
- Mountain Shakespeare Festival Auditions for 2010’s Taming of the Shrew and The Odd Couple 2:30 p.m. Kung Fu Studio, 3532 Mt. Pinos Way, FP, 242-6904
- Casino Night FMHS fundraiser 6 p.m., 8:30 p.m. auction, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, 300 Park Drive. $25
Sunday, March 14 — Daylight Saving Time begins
- Daylight Saving Time begins, turn all clocks ahead one hour at 2 a.m.
- Wildflower Wander at Wind Wolves Preserve lead by Naturalist Joel Robinson 1-5 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (714) 649-9084
- Mountain Memories meeting to plan 2010 Fiesta Days 5:30 p.m. La Sierra Restaurant, 3500 Mt. Pinos Way. (661) 431-8260 or www.frazierfiestadays.com.
Tuesday, March 16
- Deadline for A Big Hello From Our Small Town’s April Fool’s Day letters. Drop off letters at The Mountain Enterprise, 3341 Los Padres Dr., Frazier Park (across from Ace), letters will continue to be collected for another batch to be sent at a later date.
- Deadline to submit resume for vacant seat on Lebec County Water District Board of Directors to POB 910, Lebec CA 93242 or email@example.com
Wednesday, March 17 — Happy St. Patrick’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day all day celebration at Madd Bailey’s Pub, 16200 Mil Potrero Hwy, Pine Mtn. 242-8439.
- St. Patrick’s Day party at Sue’s Tavern, 3440 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park, 245-1100
This is part of the March 05, 2010 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.