Send Mountain Community events to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 245-3794.
Now through May
- Lilac Festival Parade and Vendor applications accepted through May 10, see www.pmclilacfestival.com and parade form pg. 13 of this issue.
- Sign up for Frazier Park Renaissance Faire volunteers and entertainment through May 14, see www.frazmtnrenfaires.com or call (661) 444-8744
Thursday, April 15
- Mil Potrero Mutual Water Company accepting nominations for Board of Directors through May 21. Mail to P.O. Box “W” or bring to 16275 Askin Dr., Pine Mountain CA, 93222
- Applications due for Congressman McCarthy’s summer internship program, see kevinmccarthy.house.gov or call (661) 327-3611 for more information.
- Bakersfield Small Business Development Center workshop: Do’s and Don’ts of Employee Handbooks 8-9:30 a.m., UC Center, 2000 K Street, 3rd floor, Bkfld. Free, (877) 826-7232
- Community Garden Meeting 12 noon Arts for Earth Foundation, 3408 Mt. Pinos Way. Help the community garden grow, continues every Saturday and Sunday
- Frazier Park School PTSO meeting at 6 p.m. in the school library. Officer elections.
Friday, April 16
- John Archambault, author of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, visits Frazier Park School at 8:45 a.m. K-1 assembly and 9:45 a.m. 2nd-3rd grade assembly. Book signing at Chatterpillar 2:30 p.m.
- Mt. Pinos FireSafe Council meeting 9:30 a.m. Chuchupate Ranger Station
- Allstar Cheerleading Squad gym grand opening 10 a.m.-7 p.m. 3234-A Mt. Pinos Way. Performances by cheer squads and class sign-ups all day
- English Language Advisory Council (ELAC) meeting/potluck 6 p.m. Frazier Park School cafeteria, 245-3312
Saturday, April 17
- AARP Trip to Catalina Island 245-1995 for details
- Playwriting/Directing workshops 9 a.m. $15 ea or $25 both 242-1015 to reserve space
- K’$ Discount Depot grand opening 10 a.m-3 p.m. Chamber ribbon cutting at 10 a.m. Raffle with basket prizes 3524-B Mt. Pinos Way, 245-1878 (see ad pg. 12)
- Stephanie Darling Artist of Month greets friends, fans in reception at Work of Heart Gallery 11-3 p.m. 3011 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park
- Life in Lockwood Creek–Free guided hike by Naturalist for You 1 p.m. RSVP to (714) 649-9084 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roots and Shoots: Peace Dove construction 3 p.m., Arts for Earth, 3408 Mt. Pinos Way.
- Ruth Handy (of the Jizo Peace Center) plays Japanese koto before Bill Crowley performs Raguko comedy live at Work of Heart Gallery 7 p.m. 3020 Johnson Rd, $8, 245-3166
- Judge Jackson live at Sue’s Tavern 9 p.m. 3440 Mt. Pinos Way, 245-1100, free
Sunday, April 18
- Civil War Tactical at Fort Tejon State Historical Park. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. $2-5 admission ($14 maximum for families). 248-6692 or www.forttejon.org
- Cow-Pie Bingo fundraiser for Frazier Mountain Youth Cheer 1-4 p.m. Stage Stop Mercantile, 1443 Frazier Mountain Park Road, $10. Tickets available at new Cheer gym location, Stage Stop and The Mountain Enterprise (3341 Los Padres Drive, across from Ace)
- Free Wildflower Wander at Wind Wolves Preserve hike by Naturalist for You 1 p.m. RSVP to (714) 649-9084 or email@example.com
- All Faiths Fellowship evening services 4 p.m. 16275 Askin Drive, Pine Mountain Village. New church in Pine Mountain, continues every Sunday
Monday, April 19
- Lebec County Water District public mtg. 7 p.m. Lebec Community Church 2350 Lebec Rd. Homeowners, Hotel owners and Fire Dept. talk about water supply priorities in case of fire.
- Lilac Festival Parade volunteer meeting 6 p.m. Screaming Squirrel Restaurant in Pine Mountain Village, 16200 Mil Potrero Hwy. New volunteers welcome!
Tuesday, April 20
- Frazier Park Estates Hearing at Kern County Board of Supervisors 2 p.m. Developers seek 557 homes in Lebec around high school; Kern planners propose 188 homes. Public’s comment invited. Supervisors’ Chambers, 1115 Truxtun Avenue, Bakersfield. Planning Department 862-8866.
Wednesday, April 21
- Arts for Earth Foundation Nature Club begins for children in 3rd–6th grades, 2:15 p.m. Every Wednesday through May 26, $20 for entire series, Pine Mtn Learning Ctr, 245-1523
Thursday, April 22 — Earth Day
- James Pickens Jr. Foundation Charity Roping Event 12 p.m. sign up 1 p.m. rope, $250/roper, Tejon Ranch Equestrian Center. Call Scott (661) 305-0399 or Neal (818) 519-9573 for more information, www.jpjfoundationroping.com
- Earth Day Parade and Crafts sponsored by Jizo Peace Center and Arts for Earth Foundation 3:30-5:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Park. Peace doves will be flown.
- Mountain Communities Coalition Against Substance Abuse meeting 5-6 p.m. Frazier Park School Room #16. Note new time/date, continues every third Thursday.
- El Tejon School PTSO meeting to plan upcoming Open House in May 6:30 p.m. El Tejon School. All welcome, volunteers wanted and 2010-2011 board position still open
Friday, April 23
- Watercolor Workshop 2-4:30 p.m. The Art Studio, 3701 Mt. Pinos Way, $25, (661) 204-6569
- Compassion Films Night: Split Estate 7 p.m. Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, Pine Mountain, 242-6956, www.jizopeacecenter.org.
- Blues and Jazz Club: Chris Wilson 7 p.m. Condor Lounge, $15/$17, 242-3788 (see pg. 7)
- Deadline for Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s ‘Artistic Discovery’ high school art competition, see http://kevinmccarthy.house.gov/showarticle.asp?ID=316 for more information
Saturday, April 24
- Arts for Earth Day art and craft supply swap meet 8 a.m.-12 noon 3408 Mt. Pinos Way
- Frazier Mountain High School Freshman Class car wash 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The Mountain Enterprise parking lot (across from Ace Hardware) $5/$7
- Pine Mountain Club Spring Art Show 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Clubhouse, 242-3788
- Elizabeth Lewis of Pine Mountain will be signing copies of her book Spellbound at the LA Times Festival of Books 10 a.m.-6 p.m. UCLA Campus, $9 parking, free event
- Afternoon Tea to honor Center of the World Festival and other local volunteers 2-4 p.m. Cuddy Hall, 335 Lakewood Pl. RSVP with number attending 242-1583.
- 14th Annual Donkey Basketball fundraiser at Frazier Mountain High School 5 p.m. dinner, 6 p.m. game. $5 children/$7 adults. Tickets at The Mountain Enterprise
- The Trainer (filmed in Pine Mountain) premiers at the 11th Lake Arrowhead Film Festival at 5 p.m. www.lakearrowheadfilmfestival.com (see story pg. 3 of the April Pioneer)
- Matt Jazz live at Work of Heart Gallery 7 p.m. 3020 Johnson Rd, $8, 245-3166
Sunday, April 25
- Farewell benefit for Simba Roberts 4-8 p.m. PMC Clubhouse. Plenty of music and good friends, donations will be collected to help Simba move closer to medical facilities.
This is part of the April 16, 2010 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.