Send Mountain Community events to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 245-3794.
Ongoing through September—October
- Archery season is open for bear through Sep. 12 and for deer through Sep. 26.
- Barry Ailetcher is September’s Artist of the Month at Work of Heart Gallery (3011 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
- Mountain Munchkins Preschool Storytime at the Frazier Park Library meets every Tuesday. Stories, songs and crafts for preschoolers at 11:30 a.m. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way).
- Free “Unlocking Revelation Prophecy” Seminar will be held every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7:15 p.m. in the Frazier Park Community Center. Continues through October 24.
- Ridge Route Communities Museum is accepting applications from artisans/crafters for their Annual Arts & Crafts Show Nov. 5-6. Call 245-3324 or 245-2339, email@example.com
- Beading classes at A Spot of Bead, see www.aspotofbead.com for schedule of classes.
Thursday, September 9
- Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s mobile office hours are from 10-11 a.m. at the Family Resource Center, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way. Call Vince at 661-327-3611 to make an appointment.
- Frazier Park School Back to School Night begins at 5:30 p.m. with kindergarten presentations. Followed at 6 p.m. for first grade, 6:30 p.m. for second grade and 7 p.m. for third grade.
- The Holiday Faire Committee is meeting to start plans for December’s parade and faire at 6:30 p.m. at A Spot of Bead (3436 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
- Silent Chair Meditation at the Jizo Peace Center begins at 7 p.m., followed by a discussion of the book Peace is the Way by Deepak Chopra (2012 Pioneer Way, Pine Mountain, 242-6956)
Friday, September 10
- Deadline for Mountain Community Energy Co-op wood pellet order is today. Call Arts for Earth Found. at 245-1523 or download order form at ArtsForEarth.org.
- Maricopa High School’s reunion for the classes of 1976-1982 will be held this weekend at the Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area and continues through Sunday, Sept. 12. Register at www.MaricopaAlumni.com or call 661-978-5857.
- *Pine Mountain Town Hall will feature Lynn Stafford giving a presentation about “What is unique in our mountain area” at 7 p.m. in the Clubhouse Condor Room (242-3788)
Saturday, September 11
- The Arts for Earth Show is from 8:15-10 a.m. live on cable channel 14 every Saturday. The show offers a variety of arts and wilderness guests with host Michelle Nosco. Adoptable pets are featured the first Saturday of every month. Callers are welcomed (245-2688).
- Clean Up The Ridge Route: Operation Clean Sweep meets at 9 a.m. at the Ranch House restaurant (49713 Gorman Post Road). Caravan to Ridge Route Museum to view vintage cars, then continue to Tumble Inn. Small groups will break off to sweep the Ridge Route. Bring gloves, hat, sack lunch, large push brooms. RSVP 242-2726 or 866-262-7594
- Frazier Mountain Community Health Fair and Boy/Girl Scout Food Drive will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Shepherd of the Mountains Lutheran Church, 6700 Lakeview Dr. Call 245-1952 to sign up for mammogram appointments.
- Magic Saturdays at Computers and Games: Magic, the Gathering free play and tournament are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. every week. 16218 Mil Potrero Highway, #204 (242-1214)
- Shelter on the Hill’s 7th Annual Festival of Wine and Cheese will be held at the Vineyard on Tejon Ranch from 3-6 p.m. Tickets available at SOTH Thrift store on Mt. Pinos way.
- 9th Annual 9-11 ‘Ride to Remember’ through Cuddy Valley begins at 4 p.m. Riders assemble at Dream Weaver Ranch at 3:15 p.m. (10960 Steinhoff Road, Cuddy Valley). Car and pedestrian spectators welcomed. Ride lasts two hours.
Saturday, September 11 — Continued
- 95th Anniversary of the Battle of Musa Ler (the Armenian genocide battle) takes place from 6 p.m. to midnight at Camp Arev in Cuddy Valley. Admission is free with live traditional music and dancing. Armenian food and drinks are available for purchase (1701 Darling Ave, www.mousaler.org, 626-376-7420).
- Opening reception for Work of Heart Gallery’s September Artist of the Month Barry Ailetcher is from 7-9 p.m. at the gallery (3011 Mt. Pinos Way).
- *Madd Dogs play live at the Pine Mountain Clubhouse Condor Room from 7-11 p.m.
- DJ n*Joy live at Sue’s Tavern at 9 p.m. 3400 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park (245-1100)
Sunday, September 12
- Pine Mountain Clubhouse pool closes today for the summer.
- Historical journey up Frazier Mountain led by Naturalist for You meets at 9 a.m. to explore the colorful history of the Frazier Mountain area. Please RSVP to 714-649-9084 (www.naturalist-for-you.org)
- 95th Anniversary of the Battle of Musa Ler (the Armenian genocide battle) continues from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Camp Arev in Cuddy Valley. Free admission. Live traditional music, dancing with Armenian food, drinks available for purchase. www.mousaler.org
- Dungeons and Dragons free play at Computers and Games is from 12-4 p.m. Continues every Sunday at 16218 Mil Potrero Highway, #208 (242-1214, computersandgames.com)
- Freeman Drive Neighborhood Watch meeting and potluck has been canceled.
- Mountain Memories Association public meeting is 5:30 p.m. at Mike’s Pizza in Lake of the Woods. Community welcome to help begin planning 2011 event (661-431-8260).
- Sunset Chumash journey to the center of the world (Mt. Pinos) led by Naturalist for You begins at 6:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain. This is a free hike, expected to be easy to moderate, RSVP to 714-649-9084 (www.naturalist-for-you.org).
Tuesday, September 14
- Grand opening of Swedish Massage at Tanicures. Call 245-1489 or 661-338-4805 to make an appointment (3620 Mt. Pinos Way)
- Frazier Mountain Little League annual meeting and elections are 6 p.m. at Cavey’s Cave, 3426 Mt. Pinos Way. Call the League Line for more info (245-1030).
Wednesday, September 15
- ‘Branding’ Tourism Summit by Kern County Board of Trade is from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace in Bakersfield (2800 Buck Owens Blvd.). $75 for a day of seminars and buffet lunch. Find out more at www.visitkern.com or call 800-500-KERN (5376).
Thursday, September 16
- Social Media Marketing for Your Small Business is a free workshop by the Mountain Communities Small Business Development Center from 6-8 p.m. at Cuddy Hall (335 Lakewood Place, Lake of the Woods). Sign up by calling 805-667-8004.
- The monthly MCCASA meeting is at 5 p.m. in the Family Resource Center meeting room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way). Please call 245-4303 with any questions. Public is welcome.
- Silent Chair Meditation at the Jizo Peace Center begins at 7 p.m., followed by a discussion of the book Peace is the Way by Deepak Chopra (2012 Pioneer Way, Pine Mountain, 242-6956).
Friday, September 17
- Fast Food Nation will be shown for Compassion Film Night at Jizo Peace Center beginning at 7 p.m. (2012 Pioneer Way, Pine Mountain, 242-6956, www.jizopeacecenter.org)
- Karaoke at Sue’s Tavern begins at 9 p.m. 3400 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park (245-1100).
This is part of the September 10, 2010 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.