For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, March 9, 2018
• FMHS Winter Formal (postponed from Feb. 23 due to snow) is set for tonight, 7–11 p.m., at Camp AREV in Cuddy Valley. The theme is “Winter Wonderland,” and tickets are $15 per person or $25 per couple. That includes an Italian dinner and dessert.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
• Give your students some love (and school funding)! Saturday School is from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at FMHS, for all K-12 students in El Tejon Unified School District. So fun it’s called ‘Festi-School’! Lots of cool and interesting activities are planned for learning and enrichment.
• Your volunteer help is needed by CAPK (Community Action Partnership of Kern) Food Bank, to help build over 1,000 food boxes for seniors, from
8 a.m.–noon at 2550 E. Belle Terrace, Suite 501, Bakersfield. You can get more information at 661.342.6738 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PMC Homeowners: Members’ Budget Workshop is at 10 a.m. in the Condor Room. See the projected PMC budget vs. last year’s actual expenses and learn what the next fiscal year’s assessments are projected to be. Ask questions, make suggestions, while it can still make a difference!
• The beautiful art of Pine Needle Basket Weaving with historian Bonnie Kane from 10 a.m. to noon at Ridge Route Communities Museum is a spring tradition here. The cost is $10, which covers all materials. Though usually full, try 661.245.7747 to see if anyone has cancelled.
* The PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets at 1 p.m. in the Condor Room to give us all a look at the progress being made on planning options for a covered, year-round pool and enhancements of the PMC clubhouse. (Meetings are planned for the second Saturday of each month going forward.)
• Fascinated by L.A.’s water history? A night of newsreels and documentaries is right up your creek, at 7 p.m. in Hart Hall at the William S. Hart Park at 24151 Newhall Avenue in Newhall. The free event marks the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam disaster, presented by Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, hosted by historian Phil Scorza. If you like the movie Chinatown, here’s the story behind the plot.
Sunday, March 11, 2018
• Daylight savings takes effect at 2 a.m., when we “spring forward” one hour. Set your clocks before bed so you’re not late to a Sunday event!
• Back by popular demand! ‘The Vagina Monologues’ will have one last performance at 2 p.m. in PMC’s Condor Room. This is part of the 20th anniversary of the global ‘V-Day’ movement to end violence against women. Suggested donation is $10, and 90% of the proceeds benefit the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center. Reserve your spot for this final performance, (661.242.2422 or email@example.com).
• Do you love Fiesta Days? Come be part of this year’s event at a 5 p.m. planning meeting at Caveman Cavey’s Pizza. Enthusiastic volunteers, great new ideas and community spirit will help make this 51st annual summer celebration the best yet. Do join in!
Monday, March 12, 2018
• Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets at 11:30 at PMC’s Bistro on the Greens, for a brief talk and then networking with other business owners. This March, June and September, their usual “second Thursday” meeting will be held on the “second Monday.”
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
• Polish up your resume and dress nicely: Bakersfield JobFest is from 9 a.m.–noon at Rabobank Convention Center (1001 Truxtun Ave.) See story on page 9 of the print edition.
• Senior Sack provides healthy food staples from 10 a.m.–noon at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center. Eligible recipients (with an annual income below $15,000) register once for $2, then twice a month may pick up a sack of fresh fruits and veggies, bread, boxed staples and canned food. Find out more about this program of the Golden Empire Gleaners at www.goldenempiregleaners.com/senior-sack.
Ongoing and Upcoming
* Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at the PMC clubhouse on Saturday, March 17, with the song stylings of Joe Croyle from 4–7 p.m. followed by the dance band Boys Nite Out from 7–11 p.m. A dinner buffet will be available from 5–8 p.m. featuring yummy, Irish-themed selections.
• Students, plan your next steps at FMHS’ Career and College Fair, Wednesday, March 21 from 8:30–10:30 a.m. in the gymnasium.
• Are you ready for 70,000 more neighbors? Tejon Ranch Co.’s Centennial Project will go before the L.A. County Planning Commission for a land-use hearing Wednesday, March 21 at 9 a.m. in Rm. 150 of the County Hall of Records (320 W. Temple St., L.A. 90012). Up to 19,333 new homes and over 1,000,000 sq. feet of commercial space is proposed for the Interstate 5 – SR-138 junction, stretching from Gorman, around Quail Lake and east to Neenach. The public is invited to comment. The final Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is at the Frazier Park Library, and online (see a hotlink at www.MountainEnterprise.com). Speak at the hearing and also email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Get the inside scoop at ‘Coffee with a Cop’ Saturday, March 24 from 9–11 a.m. at PMC’s Condor Lounge. Whether you have questions about reckless driving on our mountain roads, ‘snow bunny’ gridlock or how to become a volunteer, CHP will be there to listen and inform.
• Save the Date: Lockwood Valley residents are invited to a Ventura County General Plan meeting on March 31 at the United States Forest Service Chuchupate Meeting Hall.
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
•9 a.m. Adult Coloring & Coffee
Saturday, March 10
•9–10 a.m. Mountain Lotus Yoga
Tuesday, March 13
•11:30 a.m. Family Storytime
•5:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wednesday, March 14
•3:30 p.m. Chess
•1 p.m. Pinochle & Other Games
Thursday, March 15
•11:30 a.m. Computer/eReader One-on-One tutoring Reservations: 661.245.1267
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Kids, read to Ginger Snap the Tail Waggin’ Tutor
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the March 9, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.