For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, April 13, 2018
• Last call for high school artists! Kevin McCarthy invites you to compete in this year’s Congressional Art Competition, and the deadline is today. Many different media qualify, and you could win a trip to the exhibit opening in D.C. More info at KevinMcCarthy.House.gov/services/art-competition.
• Enjoy a dinner theater date with friends. Mountain Theater Alliance presents ‘Blithe Spirit,’ Noel Coward’s dry comedy, with a buffet at PMC’s Condor Room. Dinner is at 6 p.m., curtain is at 7 p.m. Tickets are $30 (reservations: 661.242.3788). All are welcome to this fun event.
Saturday, April 14, 2018
• Free Disposal Day is from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Waste Management of Lancaster (Lancaster Landfill), 600 East Avenue F, Lancaster, CA 93535. They will accept up to one ton of household discards—virtually anything other than business waste, tires, or hazardous waste (like paint, solvents, etc.).
• Are you and your home prepared for a wildfire? At 10 a.m. in PMC’s Condor Room, Kern County Fire Department and U.S. Forest Service personnel will discuss preparedness tips and answer questions on clearances and ways to protect yourself, your family and your property.
* PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets at 1 p.m. in the Condor Room. Don’t miss this one! This will tell all the facts and figures on the clubhouse options.
• A free Community Dinner is served from 4–6 p.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Building. Everyone is welcome.
• ‘Highway 99: History of California’s Main Street’ author Stephen Provost shares fascinating stories and forgotten lore, 6 p.m. at Ridge Route Communities Museum (3515 Park Drive, FP). Come delight in discovering how California history is rooted in the story of Highway 99.
• Supper and Spirits for Saturday: Mountain Theater Alliance’s dinner theater production of Noel Coward’s ‘Blithe Spirit,’ a farcical comedy about ghosts, continues. The evening begins with an old-fashioned English-style dinner at 6 p.m., with curtain at 7 p.m. in PMC’s Condor Room. All are welcome. Tickets are $30; call 661.242.3788 for reservations.
• Mountain Birds, Mountain Photographers: Biologist Lynn Stafford gives an illustrated talk about the travel and behavior patterns of our local birds, at 7 p.m. at the Condor Group of the Sierra Club, in the PMC clubhouse pool pavilion. All are welcome, and slide printouts are included.
Sunday, April 15, 2018
• Last Call for Humorous High Spirits! Mountain Theater Alliance’s dinner theater production of Noel Coward’s ‘Blithe Spirit,’ a farcical comedy about ghosts, has its closing performance tonight. The evening begins with an early-bird old-fashioned English-style dinner at 4 p.m., with curtain at 5 p.m. in PMC’s Condor Room. All are welcome. Tickets are $30; call 661.242.3788 for reservations.
Monday, April 16, 2018
• Stretching for Seniors is 11–11:45 a.m. at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center. Some stretches are done sitting in a chair, some standing, and you do only what you are able to do comfortably. The teacher is 93 so, clearly, stretching does a body good!!
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
• Raising kids? Get free help here: the Parent Empowerment Series is 10–11:30 a.m. at the FRC meeting room [3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP]. Today, public health educators share tips for curbing sugary drinks and help for preventing and/or quitting tobacco use. See story pg. 1 of the print edition.
Thursday, April 19, 2018
• Celebrating Earth, Student-to-Student: In anticipation of Earth Day this weekend, FMHS Future Farmers of America will present earth- and environmental-related science projects to Frazier Park School students from 8:15 a.m. until noon at the high school.
• Whip up 20 copies of your resumé, dress nicely and smile: Taft JobFest is from 9 a.m.–noon at The Historic Fort (915 N. 10th Street, Taft).
• Submit your comments by today on two important Forest Service projects—in Cuddy Valley and Tecuya Ridge. See details, pg. 22 of the print edition.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Your opinion on above-ground power lines in the forest? Submit your comments by Friday, April 20 regarding requests by SCE and PG&E to extend their permits to run high-voltage electrical lines through the Los Padres National Forest. See story on page 22 of the print edition.
• Wardrobe need a spring boost? The ‘Let’s Live Local’ Spring Clothing Exchange is Sunday, April 22, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in PMC’s pool pavilion. Everything is free. Advance clothing donations are welcomed: call Pamela, 661.242.2035 or Tara, 661.242.6901.
• Pizza and photographs, a great combination! The Mountain Youth Photo Contest is throwing a pizza party Saturday, April 21 at 5 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery [16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mtn. Village]. The public can view and purchase this year’s entries by community youth.
• Your comments invited on Tejon Ranch’s Centennial Project, proposing 19,333 homes and 8 million sf of commercial development across 19 sq. mi. from I-5 along SR-138, Gorman to Neenach, now open grasslands. See page 6 of the print edition.
* A Meet the Candidates Forum is Saturday, April 28 from 1 to 3 p.m., followed by another on Friday, May 11, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This forum is provided so members can hear directly from those seeking election to the PMCPOA Board of Directors.
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, April 13
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coloring & Coffee for Adults)
Saturday, April 14
•9–10 a.m. Mountain Lotus Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday: “Properties of Water”
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library mtg.
Tuesday, April 17
•11:30 a.m. Family Storytime
•3:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wednesday, April 18
•3:30 p.m. Chess
Thursday, April 19
•11:30 a.m. Computer tutoring Reservations: 661.245.1267
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Kids, read to Ginger Snap the Tail Waggin’ Tutor
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the April 13, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.