For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, April 27, 2018
• Donate at the FMHS Blood Drive from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., where community members are promised direct-to-the-front-of-the-line priority status whenever you show up. ETUSD event organizers (in partnership with Houchin Blood Bank) tell us that every donor can save three lives.
• Need some tranquility? You’ll enjoy a soothing dose of calm at the Artist’s Reception featuring Trudy Craine’s landscapes, beaches, birds, Native American scenes and more. The festivities begin at 5 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, PMC). Refreshments and lively conversation are also always on tap at Artworks. See story on page 10 of the print edition.
• Toast Arbor Day with music in PMC at Acoustic Friday, beginning at 7 p.m. in the Condor Lounge, this evening featuring The Nightwatchers. It’s free, but tips for the band are encouraged and much appreciated.
Saturday, April 28, 2018
• Strum your stuff with the PMC Guitar Society, which meets at 12 p.m. in the clubhouse pool pavilion. Both electric and acoustic players are welcome to the group, which is currently rehearsing a medley of classic rock standards to perform at their first PMC GuitarFest (to be held at a Concert on the Greens this summer). The group meets on the fourth Saturday of each month.
* A Meet the Candidates Forum is from 1 to 3 p.m. at Pine Mountain’s clubhouse Condor Room, to help members hear directly from those seeking election to the PMCPOA Board of Directors. There will be another forum on Friday, May 11, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. Also see the Q&A forum in The New Mountain Pioneer May issue, available April 27.
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
• Enjoy the Ukulele Jam fun fest from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Frazier Park Library every first Wednesday of the month. Bring your instrument. Open new musical horizons! All ages and all skill levels, plus folks who like to listen, are welcome. Sheet music is provided.
Thursday, May 3, 2018
• Join neighbors and fellow Americans in prayer for our country at one of many welcoming local venues. See story on page 12, ad on pg. 15 of the print edition.
• AARP Potluck Lunch is at 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center’s Senior Room. Today features a singalong, and Bingo following the meeting. Everyone is welcome to come to enjoy fun with new friends! If you cannot bring a dish, join us anyway; the cost is just $5.
• Legal questions? Law Day at the Mall just may be just the ticket! Attorneys representing various law specialties (such as family, criminal, personal injury, probate and more) will provide free 15-minute sessions from 12 to 6 p.m. at Valley Plaza Mall (2701 Ming Ave., Bakersfield) between the Sweet Factory and Hollister, near Macy’s. See updates and information at kclawlib.org.
Ongoing and Upcoming
* Celebrate Cinco de Mayo Saturday, May 5 with the “Magnifico Buffet” from 5–8 p.m. ($15/person) and rockin’ music from the Karson City Rebels band from 7 to 11 p.m at the Condor Lounge in the Pine Mountain clubhouse.
• Pin-Ups On Tour, an old-fashioned USO show in 1940s style and costumes, is Saturday, May 5 at 8 p.m. at Frazier Mountain High School. Veterans are free. Bring friends! Dress in vintage style. This fundraiser for our VFW Post 9791 will help local vets. Get your tickets online at m.bpt.me/event/3356715 for a discount off the door price (which is $25).
• The 36th Annual Pine Mountain Club Lilac Festival is taking parade and vendor booth applications for the May 19–20 tradition of fun to celebrate the spring in Pine Mountain Village Center. See www.pmclilacfestival.com for vendor applications (due by May 4) and parade (by May 11).
• Vrroom! Sign up now for the May 26 Ridge Route Run Car Show in downtown Frazier Park. Registration forms are available at www.ridgerouterun.com. Early vehicle registration until May 11 is $25; after that (including the day of) it is $40. Vendor applications are due by May 11. Join the patriotic Memorial Day Parade, along with a massive motorcycle brigade to honor our veterans and those who served and died.
• If you have facts to share about Tejon Ranch’s Centennial Project, you’ve been given some extra time to prepare them: the deadline to submit public comments for consideration at the L.A. County Planning Commission land-use hearing is extended to Wednesday, May 23. Tejon proposes 19,333 homes and 10.2 million square feet of commercial / industrial development in 19 square miles from I-5 along SR-138, spanning Gorman to Neenach, which is currently open grasslands. See page 6 and www.MountainEnterprise.com for more details.
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, April 27
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coloring & Coffee for Adults)
Saturday, April 28
•9–10 a.m. Mountain Lotus Yoga
Tues., May 1 thru Sat., May 5
•“May the Fourth Be With You”: a celebration of Star Wars with coloring and other activities all week long!
Tuesday, May 1
•11:30 a.m. Family Storytime
•3:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wednesday, May 2
•11 a.m. Quilting and Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Ukulele Jam
Thursday, May 3
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Barks & Books
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the April 27, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.