For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, September 7, 2018
• If you have some facts or opinions about the prospect of fracking in our area, today is the deadline to get them in the record: the 30-day scoping period for considering public comments about hydraulic fracturing ends today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, September 8, 2018
• Runners, this one’s for you: FMHS Fun Run 5k is 8 a.m. in the beautiful landscape surrounding Frazier Mountain High School (700 Falcon Way, Lebec). This fundraiser for the cross country team is $8/person; $5 for military; $300 max. per team. For more information and registration instructions, email cross country coach Christy Zimmerman at CZimmerman@el-tejon.k12.ca.us.
• Calling all pet owners! A low-cost vaccination, microchip and licensing clinic by Kern County Animal Services is 9 a.m.–noon at Frazier Mountain Park. See www.kerncountyanimalservices.org or call 661.868.7100 for fees.
• Help keep Pine Mountain Health Center open with your ideas and savvy. Come to the strategy meeting, 11 a.m. at the Pine Mountain Village gazebo. Be part of the solution to save this resource. This meeting is open to all Mountain Community residents.
• Auditions for a holiday production of ‘The Nutcracker’ are at 12 p.m. at In the Wings Studio of Dance (3524 Mt. Pinos Way, FP), for ages 13 and older. Think of it—a lifelong memory of holiday fun! Call 245-5678 for more information.
• ‘Law & Disorder’: Jayne Hotchkiss-Price from the Kern County Historical Society will speak about what law was like in the rip-roarin’, murder-and-mayhem early days of Kern County, 6 p.m. at Ridge Route Communities Museum (3515 Park Dr., FP).
• A Songwriting Festival Concert to benefit PMC’s Aging in Place is 7 p.m. at the PMC clubhouse. Featured are such talented, published singer-songwriters as ‘Divebar’ Steve Kramer, Steve Hill, Marvin Etzioni, Tony Harmon, Illusion and more. All are welcome to this event. Tickets are $20 at the door or $15 in advance (at PMC’s office or pmcsongfest.com/tickets). Proceeds benefit local elders.
Sunday, September 9, 2018
• Calling all Mountain Community artists: The deadline is today at 4 p.m. to submit your work to be featured at Artworks Community Gallery’s fundraiser art show and sale Saturday, Sept. 15, 6–9 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room. This is a fundraiser for the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center. The amount your donated work sells for is a tax deduction for you. For more information call Mel at 310.829.6868.
Monday, September 10, 2018
• Beginner Square Dance classes begin this evening from 7 to 9 p.m., Cuddy Hall (335 Lakewood Dr., Lake of the Woods). The first two classes are free, and then $6 per person. Refreshments are included. For more information call Bethel (661.245.1882) or Pat (661.245.1508). See pg. 10 of the print edition.
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
• Join the 17th Annual Ride/Walk to Remember through Cuddy Valley. It is a local tradition to honor those lost during the 9/11 attacks of 2001. Riders meet at 3 p.m. at Brennan’s Dream Weaver Ranch (10960 Steinhoff Rd., Cuddy Valley; 661.245.6625). Walkers/runners meet at 4 p.m. at the Piñon Pines mailboxes. Motorists through Cuddy Valley are welcome to wave or park and observe the procession.
• Fostering Girl Power: Mountain Girls, a club for all Mountain Community girls 4th–8th grade, meets 2:30–4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain. Each 2nd and 4th Tuesday features a new adventure or cool thing to learn. To RSVP and get location information, text or call 661.808.7959.
Thursday, September 6, 2018
• AARP’s monthly meetings resume with a pot luck lunch at 11:45 a.m. in the Senior Room at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center (3801 Park Dr., FP). Bring your plate, silverware, your favorite dish to share (or $5) and a big smile for all your friends. See page 7 of the print edition.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Enjoy helping a child learn to read: Be a volunteer reading tutor at Frazier Park School. Just one hour a week can make a massive difference for the future of a young person. Call 661.245.3312 to sign up, right now, today! You’ll be so glad you did.
• Attention art lovers: Buy some art, do some good! Artworks Community Gallery’s fundraiser art show ‘n’ sale to benefit the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center is Saturday, Sept. 15 from 6 to 9 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room.
• Dump icky stuff at the Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off, Sept 22, 9 a.m–noon, Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road).
• A Poker Run fundraiser for Moose Lodge #2364 is Sat., Sept. 22. Register at 8 a.m. ($25, $10 for each added rider). Depart at 11 a.m. Motorcycles, cars and trucks may enter. A great barbecue dinner is included. Moose and a local charity benefit (6941 Lockwood Valley Rd.; 661.245.1630).
• Autumn Equinox Art Experience is Saturday, Sept. 22, 1–11 p.m. at Camp St. Nicholas (11770 Frontier Rd, FP). Celebrate art, music, poetry, food, theater, drum circles, speakers, a paint war and a potluck dinner at 6 p.m. The afternoon is family-friendly; evening is more adult. Entry is $5, or free if you register to vote. See story on page 16 of The New Mountain Pioneer.
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
One Book Project runs Sept.–Oct.: Incarceration Nations by Baz Dreisinger
Friday, Sept. 7
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coffee and coloring for adults)
Saturday, Sept. 8
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library mtg.
Tuesday, Sept. 11
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•3:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
•6 p.m. Frazier Park Bookworms
Wed., Sept. 12
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
Thursday, Sept. 13
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Barks & Books
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the September 7, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.