For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Saturday, September 15, 2018
• Market Day is 11 a.m.–3 p.m. and each Saturday through October 27, at Nature’s Home Organic Market (3011 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). Find locally grown organic produce and vendor booths. Vendors, artisans, gardeners and others who wish to participate, call Lisa (661.245.3166) to reserve your free spot.
• Attention art lovers: Artworks Community Gallery’s fundraiser art show ‘n’ sale is 6–9 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room. Many wonderful artists have donated their work, so when you buy your beautiful treasures (by silent auction) all of those proceeds go to support the important work of the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center. Come one, come all—it will be a delightful gathering! See page 10 of the print edition.
• Learn secrets of a romance writer from author Aviva Vaughn, 7–8:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery (16233 Pine Valley Ln., PMV). Vaughn will read some of her writings and discuss being a published romance novelist. This free event is sponsored by Arts Council of Kern.
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
• Say ‘Cheese’: It’s picture day at Frazier Park Elementary School! The snaps will be taken between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m.
• Cool off with the last Celtic Jam of summer, 6:30–9 p.m. in PMC’s Condor Room. Play along or just listen and enjoy!
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
• Power youth: MyC3 meets together 2–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). MyC3 is a coalition of local youth ranging in age from 7th to 12th grade. They plan projects, learn new skills, work on presentations, and do fundraisers to attend the California Association of Student Councils Youth Leadership conference. Their ultimate goal is to save lives. Youth who are interested are invited to come check it out!
Thursday, September 20, 2018
• ‘Artflix at Artworks’ will screen Trumbo at 6:30 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Ln., PMV). The movie is about blacklisted Hollywood screenwriter Dalton Trumbo and stars Bryan Cranston. This free series presents an art-themed film every third Thursday of the month.
• McCASA (Mountain Communities Coalition Against Substance Abuse) holds its monthly meeting from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at Mountain Communities Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). Everyone is invited to participate in this coalition of local individuals and agencies working to help our youth stay healthy so they can reach their full potential—and their dreams.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Enjoy helping a child learn to read: Be a volunteer reading tutor at Frazier Park School. Just one hour a week can make a massive difference for the future of a young person. Call 661.245.3312 to sign up, right now, today! You’ll be so glad you did.
• Dump bad stuff at Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off, Saturday, Sept 22, 9 a.m–noon, Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road).
* Training Academy for those wishing to join Pine Mountain Club CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) is Sept. 22, Oct. 6 and Oct. 27, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Prospective members must complete all sessions. To register email email@example.com by Sept. 15 or call 661.242.1094.
• A Poker Run fundraiser for Moose Lodge #2364 is Saturday, Sept. 22. Register at 9 a.m. ($25, $10 for each added rider), leave at 11 a.m. Motorcycles, cars and trucks may enter. A great barbecue dinner is included. Moose and a local charity benefit (6941 Lockwood Valley Rd.; 661.245.1630).
• Autumn Equinox Art Experience is Saturday, Sept. 22, 1–11 p.m. at Camp St. Nicholas (11770 Frontier Road, FP). Celebrate art, music, poetry, food, theater, drum circles, speakers, a paint war and a potluck dinner at 6 p.m. The afternoon is family-friendly; evening is more adult. Entry is $5, or free if you register to vote. See story on page 16 of The New Mountain Pioneer.
• Frazier Mountain High School Homecoming is Friday, Sept. 28, with the parade at 6:30 p.m., game at 7 p.m. and dance at 8.
• Mountain Neighbor Event in the Park is Saturday, Sept. 29, 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center. Bring a side dish to share at the potluck lunch, and enjoy the many planned family-friendly activities, including making elderberry ice cream and yucca paint brushes. This event is free and open to all (until the room hits maximum capacity). See ad page 10 for more details and RSVP information.
• PMC Performing Arts Group premieres ‘Pinocchio: The Musical,’ Saturday, Sept. 29, 11 a.m. in the PMC Condor Room. The $8 tickets are limited. Call 661.243.8022 or 661.242.3788 to reserve seats Saturdays (11 a.m.) and Sundays (2 p.m.) through Oct. 28. See ad pg. 10 of the print edition.
• Shelter on the Hill’s 15th Annual Wine and Cheese Fundraiser is Saturday, Sept. 29, 3–6 p.m. at a new location this year: Tejon Ranch Equestrian Center. Pre-sale tickets are $30 at the SOTH Thrift Store and Frazier Mountain Real Estate in Frazier Park or $35 at the gate. Visit shelteronthehill.org/events.html for details and directions.
Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
One Book Project runs Sept.–Oct.: Incarceration Nations by Baz Dreisinger
Friday, Sept. 14
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coffee and coloring for adults)
Saturday, Sept. 15
•9 a.m. Yoga
Tuesday, Sept. 18
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•3:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wed., Sept. 19
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
Thursday, Sept. 20
•Noon–1 p.m. Meditation
•1 p.m.–2 p.m. Tai Chi
•3:30 p.m. Barks & Books
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
12:30–4 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
First, Second and Third Wednesday
•Rotary Club meets at 6 p.m. at The Ranch House, Gorman. Call D. Turner 661.245.1882
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Cal. Veteran Assistance Foundation at the Family Resource Center, 9–11 a.m.
Call 661.245.4303 to confirm
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Personal computer coaching 11:30 a.m. FP Library (245.1267)
•E-Reader help. Call for appt. Frazier Park Library 661.245.1267
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Noon meditation at Jizo Peace Center, 2012 Pioneer Way, PMC; Good to call to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, grades 8–12, meets at the Activity Center, 5 p.m. 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue
6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park
Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (661.245.3995)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•AARP potluck meeting 12 noon at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse. 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 7 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours are 3–4 p.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park)
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•State Senator Jean Fuller’s mobile office hours are 3–5 p.m. at the Family Resource Ctr,
3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP (appt: 661.323.0443)
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 7–9 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Pet Food Giveaway 9–11 a.m. at Shelter on the Hill Thrift Store parking lot, 3536 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•NEW! Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (245.4303)
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building,
1001 Coldwater Drive.
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 7:30 a.m. 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #H, LOW
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the September 14, 2018 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.