Image 1 of 2
Fire Station 57 responded to the scene of the gas leak on Mt. Pinos Way Tuesday morning, while sheriff's deputies and Southern California Gas Company were enroute. [photo by The Mountain Enterprise]
Image 2 of 2
The work area where the gas line was ruptured. The motel seen in the background was evacuated. [photo by The Mountain Enterprise]
FRAZIER PARK, CA (Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:10 a.m.)–A natural gas line was rutpured this morning on Mt. Pinos Way near the street in front of Judy’s Mini Storage. The Western Village Motel on the east side of the mini storage facility has been evacuated. Lions Day Care, which located further away, has been notified they can shelter in place, according to Kern County Fire Captain Mark Phillips. The day care facility has 27 children and three adults onsite.
Phillips said the rupture was reported at 9:38 a.m. Mt. Pinos Way is now closed from Johnson Road on the east to Harriet Road on the west. Traffic is being routed north through the residential area.
Water company workers were cutting into what they thought was a water line, according to Phillips, and cut a gas line instead. Gas odor could be smelled from a block away in both directions on Mt. Pinos Way. A loud hissing sound could be heard coming from the pit where the work was being performed.
Phillips said gas company personnel were expected to arrive in approximately 45 minutes to repair the line.
Other businesses affected include Tecuya Feed, Chatterpillar Toys and Gifts, Dr. Kathy Crandall Gillies, The Hair Cottage, Frazier Park Car Wash and businesses occupying the bulding where the library is located.
Frazier Park Public Utility District can be contacted at 245-3734.
This is part of the September 09, 2011 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.