For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020
• Everything you’ve ever wondered about drones, answered at Science Saturday with Professor Brunk, 10 a.m. at Frazier Park Library. What are drones? How do they fly? Can you fly one? Dr. Brunk says, ‘Let’s try!’
• The PMC Guitar Society meets at noon in the Pine Mountain clubhouse pool pavilion. Electric and acoustic players are welcome to the group, which plays to a delighted audience at the summer PMC GuitarFest. Start preparing early for this year! The group meets twice a month.
• A Friendship Tea is hosted by Mountain Communities Women in Business, 1–3 p.m. at Frazier Park Library (3732 Park Drive). All women and friends are invited. Meet new people. Forge new friendships. Bring cookies, cupcakes or other ‘tea party’ treats to share.
* Learn to draw at Sketching Saturdays, 2–4 p.m., in the Pine Mountain Club recreation room. Each week at this free class, participants will learn to draw a different subject.
• Nothing like a rousing game of Bingo, right? The VFW makes it happen 7–9 p.m. at the VFW Hall (612 Canada Trail, Frazier Park, 661.245.3273). No latecomers, as no cards are sold after 7:30 p.m. Proceeds go to help fund good deeds for veterans and scholarships for kids.
* Celebrate Mardi Gras (a few days early) at the PMC clubhouse, with a New Orleans style dinner menu (in addition to the regular menu) 5–8:30 p.m., and live music by the The Rich Herman Band from 7 to 11 p.m. Masks and beads are encouraged, but optional.
Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020
• Keep Your Family Safe: Meet and Greet For All, hosted by the Mount Pinos Community Fire Safe Council 2–4 p.m. at Chuchupate Ranger Station (34580 Lockwood Valley Road, Lake of the Woods). Join in a brainstorm about ways to keep us safe from wildfire, and to help us all keep affordable home insurance by fire-hardening our homes and our entire community. See story on page 1. All ages are welcome.
• Have you selected your favorite photo yet? Saturday, February 29 is the deadline for the 7th Annual Mountain Youth Photo Contest for budding photographers, 6 to 18 years of age. Cash prizes will be awarded, with two public shows of your work. See entry form on page 15 of this newspaper, with more details. You can also download the form at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020
• Soothe whatever ails you with Celtic Jam’s beautiful sound of the hammered dulcimer and other traditional instruments, 6–9 p.m. in the Pine Mountain clubhouse Condor Room. Bring an instrument and play along, or listen and enjoy! All are welcome.
• Los Padres ForestWatch Member and Volunteer Appreciation Party is Tuesday, Feb. 25, 6:30 p.m. at Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co. (137 Anacapa St., Santa Barbara), featuring locally crafted libations, gourmet appetizers, awards and raffles. Find link at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020
• Keep your resolution to have more fun—get in on the pickleball craze! The PMC Pickleball Club plays at 7 p.m. every Wednesday (and 9 a.m. Mondays) on the PMC courts (2524 Beechwood Way), and guests are always welcome. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Hurry! Saturday, February 29 is the deadline for the 7th Annual Mountain Youth Photo Contest for budding photographers, 6 to 18 years of age. Cash prizes will be awarded, with two public shows of your work. See entry form on page 15 of this newspaper for more details and at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• ‘Black and Ivory’ is the theme for the Frazier Mountain High School Winter Formal Friday, Feb. 28, 7–11 p.m. at Camp AREV in Cuddy Valley. Tickets (pre-sale only) are $15 per person or $25 per couple (students only). Ticket price includes dinner catered by Falcon’s Nest.
• California Joins In The Super Tuesday Presidential Primary March 3 all day, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. at your neighborhood polling place. Are you registered? New laws allow you to register even on the day of voting. You can try going to RegisterToVote.Ca.gov to see if it is still taking registrants. If not, you can pick up a voter registration card at the Frazier Park Library. You can also register the day of the primary at your polling place. You are also welcome to drop off your vote-by-mail ballot at any polling place in California. If you are still in line when the polls close, you have a right to vote.
• Need a job? The 2019 Kern County Career Expo is Thursday, March 5, 4:30–7:30 p.m., Rabobank Arena and Convention Center (1001 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield). Polish up your resume, put on some nifty duds and show up.
• Daylight savings returns Sunday, March 8 at 2 a.m., when we ‘spring forward’ one hour. Plan ahead so you’re not late to Sunday brunch!
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
All Feb.: Join in the Family Recipe Exchange, Mapping our Melting Pot and much more
Friday, Feb. 21
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Adult coloring and coffee)
•3 p.m. Hollitown Creative Academics
Saturday, Feb. 22
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday: Drones
•11 a.m. Ham radio testing
•1 p.m. Mountain Communities Friendship Tea
•3:30 p.m. Book launch: Elisa Christensen, ‘The Fentanyl Warrior’
Tuesday, Feb. 25
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•2 p.m. Alzheimer’s Caregivers Support Group
•3 p.m. Mini Mountain Moth (kids’ story telling
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Club
Wed., Feb. 26
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Water board meeting
Thursday, Feb. 27
•Noon 8 Treasures Qigong
•1 p.m. Qigong Healing Clinic
•2 p.m. Qigong Healing Workshop
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the February 21, 2020 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.