The Fairmont Town Council scheduled an emergency meeting for 6:30 p.m. at the WeeVill Market on Thursday, July 7. Fire and safety concerns are on the agenda.
On July 2 a fire swept across an estimated 74 acres of rangeland when workers for First Solar, Inc. were preparing holes for installation of solar panels for AV Solar Ranch 1 (AVSR1), according to Los Angeles County Fire Captain William Gamble, who said he did not yet have the official report. Gamble, with LACO Station 78, said the reporting location was in the vicinity of 177th and C Streets, at about 11:15 a.m.
An engine and patrol unit from Kern County, plus six from Los Angeles County responded, Gamble estimates, with three hand crews and three helicopters, which obtained water from hydrants and water tenders, he said.
Tree farmer Pat Chiodo said he used a tractor to help construct a firebreak. Firefighters had an unconfirmed report that an overheated catalytic converter ignited dry grass. The pickup truck involved was not damaged, Gamble said.
This is part of the July 08, 2011 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.