For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, May 17, 2019
• Celebrate TGIF in good voice with karaoke starting at 9 p.m. at Sue’s Tavern (3440 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
* Kick off Lilac Festival weekend with cool cats The Handymen at Acoustic Friday, 8:30 p.m. in the PMC Condor Lounge, featuring Rich Herman, Brian Horan, Jayce Burns and Larry Handy playing blues, rock and danceable pop. It is free, and tips are encouraged and appreciated.
Saturday, May 18, 2019
• The 37th Annual Lilac Festival is today and tomorrow, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. in Pine Mountain Village. The parade is at 11 a.m. sharp! Fun, food, friends and cool vendor booths. Helicopter rides are back! Free admission and parking. See schedule on pages 14-15, and story, pg. 1.
• Ventura County hosts a Community Open House at Chuchupate Ranger Station to show the draft 2040 General Plan, 10 a.m.–noon, (34580 Lockwood Valley Road). All are welcome; public input will be shared with the County Planning Commission. See story on page 5.
• Get winter off your car at the FMHS baseball team fundraiser carwash, 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m. in the parking lot of The Mountain Enterprise (3341 Los Padres Drive, Frazier Park). You’ll get a sparkling car while helping buy uniforms, bats, catchers’ equipment and more.
* Keep the great Lilac Festival spirit rolling on with local favorite musical group Bandit, 7–11 p.m. in the PMC Condor Lounge.
Sunday, May 19, 2019
• The 37th Annual Lilac Festival continues in Pine Mountain Village 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Fun, food, music, craft vendors and entertainment all day long. Admission and parking are free. See the official Lilac Festival entertainment schedule on pages 14-15.
• ‘Keep Me Wild’ is a presentation by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, 5–6:30 p.m. in the Pine Mountain Club Condor Room. A wildlife biologist will teach how to live with local wildlife including bears, foxes, mountain lions, bobcats, deer, coyotes, eagles and elk.
Monday, May 20, 2019
• Senior Stretching is 11–11:45 a.m. at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center (3801 Park Drive). Some stretches are done sitting in a chair, some standing. Only do what you can do comfortably. Come try it out, because at any age, stretching does a body good!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
• Spring Carnival and classroom open house at El Tejon School is 5–7 p.m. Enjoy games, music and food. All proceeds go to student activities.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Public comment on the proposed Tejon Indian Tribe Trust Acquisition and Casino Project is being accepted (306 acres near Mettler, at Interstate 5 and the 99, just north of Outlets at Tejon). An Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) will analyze potential environmental consequences. Contact information for making comment and full overview is at www.TejonEIS.com.
• The 11th Annual Ridge Route Run Car Show is Saturday, May 25, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. in downtown Frazier Park. Food, music and local arts and crafts add to the fun. This year’s event includes a patriotic memorial parade, blood drive and the Kiddie 500. To show your car in the competition, registration is $40 and forms are available at www.ridgerouterun.com/flyers-and-forms.html. Proceeds go to local charities. See page 2.
• Start gathering your icky stuff to dump at the Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off, Saturday, May 25, 9 a.m–noon, Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road). See ad on page 6 to see what is accepted.
• Pay tribute to our nation’s heros: Bakersfield National Cemetery invites the public to attend a ceremony Saturday, May 25 at 9 a.m. honoring those who served and sacrificed for our nation, with guest speakers, presentation of the colors, the national anthem, taps and a rifle salute. Family members may place flags at grave sites 7–8:30 a.m. After the ceremony, volunteers will place the flags on each headstone.
* PMC’s Concert on the Greens kicks off is Saturday, May 25, 4:30–7 p.m., with the always-popular band of law enforcement officers, City Beat.
• Peak to Peak Mountain Charter’s ‘Driveway Drive’ fundraiser is Friday, May 31, 4–7 p.m., with live music, tri-tip and hamburgers, bounce houses, student talent, silent auction and opportunity drawings for lots of cool items. Free admission, or advance-purchase VIP tables ($250, 818.521.8173), including dinner and seating for 10-12 guests. Help us pay to pave the school driveway (19009 Cerro Noroeste Road, PMC).
• Graduation Season is here: El Tejon School 8th Grade Graduation at the FMHS gym is Wednesday, June 5 at 6 p.m. and Frazier Mountain High School graduates accept their diplomas Thursday, June 6 at 6 p.m.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, May 17
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Coffee & coloring for adults)
Saturday, May 18
•9 a.m. Yoga
•1 p.m. Writers on the Hill workshop
Tuesday, May 21
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•5:30 p.m The Mountain Moth (Storytelling)
•5:30 p.m. LEGO-Mania Club
Wed., May 22
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
Thursday, May 23
•Noon Eight Treasures Qigong
•3:30 p.m. Barks ‘n Books
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the May 17, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.