For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, July 5, 2019
• Kids 7-12, join the Junior Rangers Club! This fun, free program continues today, 10 a.m. at the Frazier Park library (and is each Friday 10-11 a.m. through the summer). The focus is on responsible recreation, outdoor safety, wildlife and environmental awareness.
Saturday, July 6, 2019
• Find some treasures while supporting FMHS sports at their annual rummage sale, 7 a.m.–5 p.m. in the parking lot next to Falcon’s Nest (3216 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park). This will benefit the baseball, cross country and cheer teams.
• Stop by the California Condor Viewing Booth, 10 a.m.–3 p.m., to ‘take a break from driving, enjoy the view, get caught up on the wild condor population, and maybe even see a free-flying condor or two or a dozen.’ It is on Hudson Ranch Road between Pine Mountain Club and Highway 33—about 3.5 miles past Valle Vista Campground at the “Bitter Creek National Wildlife Refuge” sign. Look for the shade canopy. They’ll be there every first and third Saturday through September.
• The Summer Music Festival continues at Frazier Park Library at 11 a.m. with free ice cream on the porch and music by PMC’s Celtic Jam Collective. Get your reel and your waltz on! See story on pg. 10. And remember, kids, read ten books this summer to get a free book to keep!
• Are you a writer looking for expert support and guidance? Writers Workshop is 1 p.m. at the library, led by professional author and screenwriter Marc Cushman. No fee. Call 661.245.1267 to reserve time to have your pages read (10 for screenplay, 5 for prose) and get feedback.
• Mountain Communities artist Jody Valmassy’s Beautiful Treasures art gallery reception is 5–9 p.m. at (16225 Askin Drive, Pine Mountain Village). There will be live music by Terri Loewy, appetizers, drinks, giveaways and…art!
• The ‘Hidden History Hour’ series begins at Ridge Route Museum, 7–8 p.m. on the new patio (3515 Park Drive, Frazier Park). Historian Bonnie Kane will share highlights of her upcoming volume of A View from the Ridge Route. Tonight, “Coming up the Grapevine” and “Dead on the Vine.”
• Embrace the dark on a Night Hike 8:15–10:15 p.m. at Wind Wolves Preserve. The dark of the new moon is ideal for star gazing. Naturalists will tell of nocturnal animals and lead sensory awareness activities. Black lights may be provided to discover glow-in-the-dark critters. Ages 6 and up (no strollers). These are free, but book up fast! Reservations are at via www.facebook.com/WindWolvesPreserve.
Monday, July 8, 2019
• Want to be an involved angel? Meals on Wheels welcomes volunteer drivers to deliver warm meals to your neighbors in need. Choose a Monday, Wednesday or Friday route and commit to one month. Your gas is covered, and you’ll bring joy to many. Call 661.245.1952.
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
• It’s Ukulele Jam time, folks! Bring your own instrument to join in the fun, 5–7 p.m. at the Frazier Park Library. All ages and skill levels are welcome. These fun gatherings are usually the first Wednesday of the month, but due to the holiday this month it is the following week.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• Wild Flower Showoff is open a couple more days at Artworks Community Gallery, Friday–Sunday, 12–4 p.m. (16233 Pine Valley Lane, PMV) featuring wildflowers in various media. The show will be taken down Sunday, July 7.
• Make a note in your calendar to consider attending the next meeting of South Kern Cemetery District, Tuesday, July 16, 4 p.m. at Frazier Park Library (3732 Park Drive), to be involved with discussing and asking questions about a possible memorial park right here in our own beautiful town. All are welcome.
• If you want to see plans for the future of water in our region, attend the SGMA (Sustainable Groundwater Management Act) workshop taking place Tuesday, July 16, 5 p.m. at Lebec Community Church (2350 Lebec Road, Lebec).
• The Antelope Valley Watermaster has announced a public hearing for comment on its 2018 Administrative Draft Annual Report, Wednesday, July 24, 10 a.m., 6450 W. Avenue N, Palmdale 93551). Advance comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, July 5
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy
•10 a.m. Junior Rangers Club
•Noon Game On!
•1:30 p.m. FOCUS Arts: Art
Saturday, July 6
•9 a.m. Yoga
•11 a.m. Summer Music Festival: Celtic Jam Collective
•1 p.m. Writers on the Hill workshop
Tuesday, July 9
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•12:30 p.m. Storytime Puppet Theater
•1 p.m. Roaming Reptiles
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Mania
Wed., July 10
•12:15 p.m. Guest Star Reader
•1 p.m. Wind Wolves Preserve
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Ukulele Jam
•6 p.m. Frazier Park Bookworms
Thursday, July 11
•Noon Eight Treasures Qigong**
•12:30 p.m. Thursday Shorts
•1 p.m. Qigong Healing Workshop with Samuel Barnes
•6 p.m. Soils and Composting class
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the July 5, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.