For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, July 12, 2019
• Enjoy horsemanship (and horsewomanship) on display at ‘Early Californios Skills of the Rancho,’ a family affair with friendly competition, a fiesta attitude, vendors and food. Opening ceremonies are 7:30 a.m. and riding action goes until about 8 p.m. The event goes through Sunday at 6 p.m. at Tejon Equestrian Center (1401 Crane Canyon Rd., Lebec). Spectator admission is…free!
• Today’s Focus Central Arts for Children offering is music with Richard Schwagerl, 1:30 p.m. at Frazier Park Library (3732 Park Drive, Frazier Park). Through this program children can enjoy a new theme in art, music or dance each Tuesday through July.
• Have some karaoke fun starting at 9 p.m. at Sue’s Tavern (3440 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
Saturday, July 13, 2019
• More awesome horse-riding skills on display as ‘Early Californios Skills of the Rancho’ continue—a family affair with friendly competition, a fiesta attitude, vendors and food. Opening ceremony is 7:30 a.m., riding starts at 8 a.m. and goes until about 8 p.m. Details at July 12.
• Be part of the special things always happening at the Frazier Park Library. You’re invited to attend the Friends of Frazier Park Library meeting, at 2 p.m. in…the library! There is no obligation and no commitment required to simply come check it out.
•A screening of ‘Brotherhood of the Popcorn,’ a documentary for movie lovers featuring the Mountain Communities’ own Dennis Penna, is 3 p.m. at Frazier Park Library (3732 Park Drive). Yes, popcorn will be served.
Sunday, July 14, 2019
• Last call to see impressive horsepersonship skills at ‘Early Californios Skills of the Rancho,’ starting at 7:30 a.m. with opening ceremonies and wrapping up with awards at 4 p.m. See details under July 12.
• The Aging in Place Task Force meets at 3:30 p.m. in the pool pavilion of the Pine Mountain clubhouse, and is open to all who are interested.
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
• South Kern Cemetery District meets, 4 p.m. at Frazier Park Library (3732 Park Drive). This is an opportunity to be involved with discussing and asking questions about a possible memorial park right here in our own beautiful town. All are welcome.
• If you want to see plans for the future of water in our region, attend the SGMA (Sustainable Groundwater Management Act) workshop, 6 p.m. at Lebec Community Church (2350 Lebec Road, Lebec).
Thursday, July 18, 2019
• Come see what McCASA (Mountain Communities Coalition Against Substance Abuse) and its great work is all about, 4-5:30 p.m. in the downstairs meeting room of the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park). Good ideas from interested people always welcome.
• ‘Artflix at Artworks’ will screen Big Eyes at 6:30 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village). From director Tim Burton, the film portrays the epic fraud of commercial artist Walter Keane’s huge popular success with his paintings of ‘big-eyed’ children. The truth eventually emerged that they were actually created by his wife, Margaret. The movie is free; wine and snacks are available for a $3 donation.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• The Antelope Valley Watermaster has announced a public hearing for comment on its 2018 Administrative Draft Annual Report, Wednesday, July 24, 10 a.m., 6450 W. Avenue N, Palmdale 93551). Advance comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dump your nasty stuff at the Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off, Saturday, July 27, 9 a.m–noon, Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road). See ad on page 8.
• Health Fair “make good” day for mammograms and stroke-risk ultrasounds is Saturday, July 27, 8:30 a.m.–1 p.m., at Mountain Communities Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park). See item on page 3.
* Community Appreciation Day in PMC is Saturday, July 27, starting at 10 a.m. with a round-table with Kern County officials—such as KCSO’s Sheriff Donny Youngblood, Fire Chief David Witt, Supervisor Zack Scrivner, and CHP’s Lt. Curtis Fouyer—followed by a free barbecue lunch cooked for you and served by PMCPOA board members from 1 to 3 p.m. Bandit will play live music during lunch and there are games and bounce houses for the kids. Concert on the Greens follows, with perennial favorite band Boxcar 7, 4:30–7 p.m. and Dive Bar Messiahs inside from 7–11 p.m.
• Learn the lovely art of nature journaling at Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area, Sunday, July 28, 9 a.m. Meet at north entrance lot (5301 Ralphs Ranch Road, Gorman 93243) to caravan to trail-head, so drive a high-clearance vehicle. Bring water, snacks, hat, chair and journaling supplies if you have them. This is for ages 16 and up, and is free with your $5 park admission. For more information call 661.248.6361.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Tues.–Fri. •Noon Lunch @ the Library
Friday, July 12
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy
•10 a.m. Junior Rangers Club
•Noon Game On!
•1:30 p.m. FOCUS Arts: Music
Saturday, July 13
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday: Cookies!
•11 a.m. Summer Music Festival: Ariel Dyer
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library meeting
•3 p.m. Brotherhood of the Popcorn (film screening)
Tuesday, July 16
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•12:30 p.m. Storytime Puppet Theater
•5:30 p.m. Mountain Moth storytelling
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Mania
Wed., July 17
•12:15 p.m. Guest Star Reader
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Water board meeting
Thursday, July 18
•Noon Eight Treasures Qigong (Meets at the park due to Lunch @ the Library)
•12:30 p.m. Thursday Shorts
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the July 12, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.