For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, July 26, 2019
• Kids 7-12, the Junior Rangers Club wants you! This exciting program is 10–11 a.m. at the Frazier Park library and free.
• Fridays at Koehler’s Cottage Garden will be featuring live music and free food 6–9 p.m. (3701 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
• Come have a TGIF good time singing (or listening to) karaoke, 9 p.m. on at Sue’s Tavern (3440 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
Saturday, July 27, 2019
• Dump your nasty stuff at the Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off, 9 a.m–noon, Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road). See ad on page 8 of the print edition.
• Health Fair “make good” day for mammograms and stroke-risk ultrasounds is 8:30 a.m.–1 p.m., at Mountain Communities Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park). See item on page 9 of the print edition.
* Community Day in PMC is Saturday, July 27, starting at 10 a.m. with a round-table with Kern County officials—such as Fire Chief David Witt, Supervisor Zack Scrivner, Transit Manager Bob Neath, KCSO’s Sheriff Donny Youngblood, CHP’s Lt. Curtis Fouyer and more—followed by a free barbecue lunch cooked for you and served by PMCPOA board members from 1 to 3 p.m. Bandit will play live music during lunch and there are games and bounce houses for the kids. Concert on the Greens follows with perennial favorite band Boxcar 7, 4:30–7 p.m., and Dive Bar Messiahs inside from 7–11 p.m.
• The Summer Music Festival continues at Frazier Park Library at 11 a.m., featuring a performance by The Mountain Squares and free ice cream. Kids, the Summer Reading Challenge is still on: read 10 books and get a free book. Sign up at the library or at KCLsummerchallenge.org.
• Market Day is 11 a.m.–3 p.m. on the patio at Nature’s Home Organic Market (3011 Mt. Pinos Way, FP) and it is open to all. Bring your homemade products, produce, crafts and services to sell or barter at this free weekly event…or just come to shop for organic produce and cool stuff! See ad on page 17 of the print edition.
• Kids, come get your free backpack during the Summer Reading and Music Festival Finale at the library, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. The child receiving the backpack must be present, and backpacks will be given out while supplies last. This is a program of Kern Child Services.
• The ‘Hidden History Hour’ series wraps up at Ridge Route Museum, 7–8 p.m. on the new patio (3515 Park Drive, Frazier Park). Tonight Bonnie Kane will discuss the history of Cuddy Valley, Pine Mountain Club and beyond, from her upcoming volume of A View from the Ridge Route.
Sunday, July 28, 2019
• Learn the lovely art of nature journaling at Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area, 9 a.m. Meet at north entrance lot (5301 Ralphs Ranch Road, Gorman 93243) to caravan to trail-head, so drive a high-clearance vehicle. Bring water, snacks, hat, chair and journaling supplies if you have them. This is for ages 16 and up, and is free with your $5 park admission. For more information call 661.248.6361.
Wednesday, July 31, 2019
• Friends of the Library’s Used Book Sale begins today, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., and runs through Saturday, Aug. 3. Today is for members and those who would like to become members. Come help set up and get first choice of great books (at the Frazier Park Library).
Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019
• Bargains on Books: Friends of the Library’s Used Book Sale is today 11 a.m.–6 p.m., open to everyone. They also welcome help sorting and re-stocking—a great way to find great treasures, make new friends and do good work for the community, at the Frazier Park Library.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• A Construction Trade Job and Resource Fair is Friday, Aug. 2, 8–11 a.m., 2000 K Street, Bakersfield, where employers will be accepting applications, discussing positions and conducting interviews. Training resources and information will be available as well.
• The 52nd Annual Fiesta Days celebration is Friday–Sunday, Aug. 2–4. Get pre-sale carnival tickets at Ace Hardware, Mountain Top Video and Sue’s Tavern in Frazier Park. Find more information at www.frazierfiestadays.org, and see pages 14-15 for the full schedule of events.
• If you haven’t tried a Night Hike at Wind Wolves Preserve, you have another chance Saturday, August 3, 8–10 p.m. The newly waxing moon is good for star gazing. Naturalists will tell of nocturnal animals and lead sensory awareness activities. Black lights may be provided to discover glow-in-the-dark critters. Ages 6 and up (no strollers). These hikes book up early! Reservations open July 20 at www.facebook.com/WindWolvesPreserve.
• 21st Annual Run to the Pines Auto Show is Saturday, August 10, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. in Pine Mountain Village. Registration is $30 until August 1; $35 the day of the event. For more information, visit http://www.runtothepinesautoshow.com.
• Learn Country-style rib basket weaving at a class led by Ridge Route Communties Museum’s Bonnie Kane, Saturday, Aug. 17, 10 a.m.–noon at the museum (3515 Park Dr., FP). The $15 fee includes all materials. Reserve your place at 661.245.7747.
• Alzheimer’s Association Support Services for Family Caregivers is starting up a support group again, beginning Tuesday, Aug. 20, 10:30–11:30 a.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, #201, Frazier Park), and each third Tuesday going forward.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, July 26
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy
•10 a.m. Junior Rangers Club
•Noon Lunch @ the Library
•Noon Game On!
•1 p.m. Talent show
Saturday, July 27
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday
•11 a.m. Summer Music Festival finale: Mountain Squares perform (and free ice cream!)
•11:30 a.m. Backpack Giveaway
Tuesday, July 30
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
Wed., July 31
•11 a.m.–6 p.m. Friends of Library Book Sale–FOTL Members-only day
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
Thursday, Aug. 1
•11 a.m.–6 p.m. Friends of the Library Book Sale–open to all
•Noon Eight Treasures Qigong
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the July 26, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.