For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, August 9, 2019
* Family Swim Night is 6–10 p.m. at the PMC pool. Hotdogs, chips and drinks will be available for purchase.
• You can still catch the beautiful work at the Stephanie Darling and Finneman show at Artworks Community Gallery, 12–4 p.m. today, Saturday and Sunday, and next weekend (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village). See story starting on page 10.
Saturday, August 10, 2019
• 21st Annual Run to the Pines Auto Show is 8:45 a.m.–4 p.m. in Pine Mountain Village. Registration for entries starts at 7 a.m. and awards are presented at 2 p.m. Parking and entry are free for spectators. See more details at /www.runtothepinesautoshow.com.
• A Home Safety Fair featuring (at least) 17 home security vendors plus KCSO crime prevention experts is 10 a.m.–1 p.m. in the Pine Mountain clubhouse Condor Room (2524 Beechwood Way, PMC). See ad on page 19 for more information and details.
• Market Day is 11 a.m.–3 p.m. on the patio at Nature’s Home Organic Market (3011 Mt. Pinos Way, FP) and it is open to all. Bring your homemade products, produce, crafts and services to sell or barter at this free weekly event… or, come to shop for organic produce and cool stuff! See ad on page 17 of the print edition.
Sunday, August 11, 2019
• Wind Wolves Preserve’s Volunteer Days are a wonderful family opportunity for service and fun together, 8–11 a.m. Learn how you can help restore the land, animals and terrain of this Wildlands Conservancy preserve. Reservations fill up fast; use link at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• The Aging in Place Task Force meets at 3:30 p.m. in the pool pavilion of the Pine Mountain clubhouse. All who are interested in the challenges and rewards of the topic are welcome.
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
• The Celtic Jam is 6–9 p.m. in the Pine Mountain clubhouse Condor Room. Bring an instrument and play along or grab a drink from the bar and enjoy listening to the hammered dulcimer, fiddle, guitars, and whatever other instruments show up tonight.
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
• Today is first day back to school for ETUSD, Gorman Elementary and Peak to Peak Mountain Charter schools.
Thursday, August 15, 2019
• ‘Artflix at Artworks’ will screen Mr. Turner at 6:30 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village), director Mike Leigh’s critically lauded portrait of the eccentric British artist JMW Turner. The movie is free; wine and snacks are available for a $3 donation. See page 10 of the print edition.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• The Perseid meteor showers peak in the wee early morning hours Monday, Aug. 12. Because the bright moon may impair viewing on this year’s peak date, earthsky.org suggests pre-dawn viewing on the weekend before (Aug. 9–11).
• Learn Country-style rib basket weaving at a class led by Ridge Route Communities Museum’s Bonnie Kane, Saturday, Aug. 17, 10 a.m.–noon at the museum (3515 Park Dr., FP). The $15 fee includes all materials. Reserve your place at 661.245.7747.
• Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics are offered by Ma & Paw Kennel Sunday, Aug. 18 in Lebec. Time slots are by appointment. Cost is $135 per dog ($100 for refresher course, within one year). Reserve at SnakeSafeDog.com, and choose the event 08-18-19 LEBEC.
• Alzheimer’s Association Support Services for Family Caregivers is starting up a support group again, beginning Tuesday, Aug. 20, 10:30–11:30 a.m. at the Family Resource Center (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, #102, Frazier Park), and each third Tuesday going forward.
• The Let’s Live Local Everything Exchange is Sunday, Aug. 25, 11 a.m.–3 p.m. in the lower PMCPOA parking lot. This is always a fun social event, where you can take what you want (for free), and donate what you don’t need—ideally in advance, by calling Pam, 661.242.2035, or Tara, 661.242.6901. This is open to all Mountain Community residents.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
Friday, Aug. 9
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy
Saturday, Aug. 10
•9 a.m. Yoga
•11 a.m.–Noon CIT (Compassionate Integrity Training) begins
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library meeting
Tuesday, Aug. 13
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Club
Wednesday, Aug. 14
•11 a.m. Quilting & Other Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5:30 p.m. Frazier Park Bookworms (“The Long Road to Mercy”)
Thursday, Aug. 15
•Noon Eight Treasures Qigong
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the August 9, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.