For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, Oct. 18, 2019
• Get your enchantment on: Starry Starry Night at El Tejon School means stargazing with telescopes, 5:30-10 p.m. in the 5/6 yard area (4337 Lebec Road, Lebec). Entry fee is just $1, and a chili dog dinner is $5.
• ‘Night at the Museum’ is spooky, flashlights-only, treasure-hunt fun for the whole family, 6:30–8 p.m. at Ridge Route Museum (3515 Park Dr., FP). And it’s free! See ad on page 4 of the print edition for more details.
Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019
• Boo at the Zoo is 9 a.m.–4 p.m. at the California Living Museum (CALM, 10500 Alfred Harrell Hwy., Bakersfield). Kids are free with paid adult admission ($10). Costumes are encouraged! This continues Sunday, Oct. 20, with the same hours.
• A rummage sale benefiting Vine Pregnancy Center is 10 a.m.–5 p.m. at Dave’s Community Thrift Store (formerly Name your Price, 628 Alhambra Trail, directly behind Frazier Park Market) from 10-5.
• A League of Warriors author Gary Albyn gives a free talk at Adventure Ink Bookstore, 2 p.m. (16218 Mil Potrero Hwy. #101, facing the road, one building west of The Perch). He and pal Bruce Spargo will tell tales of wartime, rebellions and what led them here from South Africa.
• A Free Community Dinner and warm clothing giveaway is 3–5 p.m. at Frazier Mountain Park Community Center.
• Attention art lovers: Buy some art, do some good! Artworks Community Gallery’s fundraiser art show ‘n’ sale to benefit the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center is 5 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane #203, PMV). This is always a cool event!
Monday, Oct. 21, 2019
• Donate at the FMHS Blood Drive, 8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. (700 Falcon Drive, Lebec), where community members receive direct-to-front-of-line priority status whenever they show up. Organizers (in partnership with Houchin Blood Bank) tell us that every donor can save three lives.
Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019
• The Pumpkin Patch at Frazier Park Elementary School opens today, 2:15–3:15 p.m. All pumpkins are just $5, and funds benefit school programs. Weekdays 2:15–3:15 p.m. except Wednesdays, when the patch is open for spooky business 1:15-2:15 p.m.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• ‘Fright on the Mountain’ is the haunted adventure at Koehler’s Cottage Garden (3701 Mt. Pinos Way, FP), Friday and Saturday, Oct. 25 and 26, 6–7 p.m. for younger kids, 7–10 p.m. for teens and up. 12 and under, $3; adults, $5. Saturday features live music.
• El Tejon School’s Spooktacular Haunted Dance is Friday, Oct. 25, 6:30–9:30 p.m. Peak to Peak, Gorman and home-schooling students are invited to join in the spooky fun. Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door, and includes dinner.
* PMC’s Creepy Carnival for kids is Friday, Oct. 25, 6–9 p.m. in the Pine Mountain Condor Room, with games, dancing and a costume contest.
• ‘A Blast Through the Past’ is Homecoming theme at Frazier Mountain High School Friday, Oct. 25. Do come—it’s always a fun night, full of spirit ($8 for adults, $5 for students and $3 for kids 12 years and under). The parade is at 6 p.m. Stay to cheer our Falcons as they take on Riverdale Christian. The king and queen are crowned at halftime. Bring coats and blanket to be comfy. The homecoming dance is 8 p.m.–midnight.
• Trunk or Treat! The library hosts the candy fest Saturday, Oct. 26, 3–6 p.m. in the parking lot.
• Spookiness lurks around each corner at the Haunted Frazier Park Library tours, Saturday, Oct. 26, 6–10 p.m.
• The FFA Haunted House at Frazier Park School is open Saturday, Oct. 26, 6–11 p.m. See page 13 for prices and age-specific times.
• The Halloween Bingo & Costume Contest is Saturday, Oct. 26, 6-9:30 at the VFW hall (612 Canada Trail, FP). $9 includes free daubers.
• A ‘Fright Hike’ at Wind Wolves Preserve is Saturday, Oct. 26, 6:15–8:15 p.m. This free event books up. Reservations link at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• The annual Family Fall Festival at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (6241 Frazier Mountain Park Rd., Lake of the Woods) is Wednesday, Oct. 30, 6–8 p.m. There will be a chili cook-off and games. Costumes are welcome, but no gore or masks please.
• A public hearing about the proposed Grapevine Specific and Community Plan by Tejon Ranchcorp will be held Thursday, Nov. 14, 7 p.m., by the Kern County Planning Commission at Board of Supervisors Chambers (First Floor1115 Truxtun Ave., at ‘N,’ Bakersfield).
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
One Book Project runs Sept.–Oct.: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba
(One Book Coloring Station Theme: Recycle)
Friday, Oct. 18
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Adult coloring and coffee)
Saturday, Oct. 19
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10:15 a.m. Ham radio test
•3 p.m. Breast cancer support group
Tuesday, Oct. 22
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Club
Wed., Oct. 23
•11 a.m. Quilting & Other Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•4 p.m. Teen planning meeting for ‘Your Library Is Haunted’
Thursday, Oct. 24
•Noon 8 Treasures Qigong
•5 p.m. Park and pond meeting
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the October 18, 2019 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.