For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, Jan. 10, 2020
• Celebrate 2020 TGIF in good voice with karaoke starting at 9 p.m. at Sue’s Tavern (3440 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park).
Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020
• Science Saturday asks ‘What is Litmus Paper and pH?’ 10 a.m. at Frazier Park Library, with Professor Cliff Brunk. All ages. Free.
• A job fair for the 2020 Census will be held at Frazier Park Library four days: today, 11 a.m.–5 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 17, 24 and 31, 12 p.m.–5 p.m. The pay starts at $17/hour with paid training, flexible hours and weekly paychecks for some extra income.
• Last weekend of tryouts for Frazier Mountain Little League is today and tomorrow, 1–4 p.m. at Tejon Fields, for ages 6 and up. All registration is now online, and organizers suggest registering beforehand at fmll.org.
* Learn to draw a new subject each Saturday in January, ‚ 2–4 p.m., at sketching class in the Pine Mountain Club recreation room. Free.
Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020
• You are invited to a birthday party for Martin Luther King Jr., 5 p.m. at The Old Bear (16116 Mil Potrero Frontage, PMV), hosted by Mel and Kathy Weinstein and featuring guest speakers. Dessert will be served. Mel says, “Bring any stories you would like to share about what Dr. King means to you and why there is a holiday in his honor.” All are welcome to attend.
Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020
• Welcome 2020 with the beautiful sound of the hammered dulcimer and other traditional instruments in song at the Celtic Jam, 6–9 p.m. in the Pine Mountain clubhouse Condor Room. Bring an instrument and play along or just listen and enjoy! All are welcome.
•Square Dancing is 6:30 p.m. at Cuddy Hall (335 Lakewood Drive, Frazier Park). For more information, call Bethel at 661.245.1882.
Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020
• Made a resolution to have more fun? Get in on the pickleball craze! The PMC Pickleball Club plays at 7 p.m. every Wednesday (and 9 a.m. Mondays) on the PMC courts (2524 Beechwood Way), and guests are always welcome. Email email@example.com for more information.
Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020
• ‘Artflix at Artworks’ screens Girl with a Pearl Earring, 6:30 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village). Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth star in the true story of 17-year-old Griet, a maid in the house of master painter Johannes Vermeer. His portrait of her became one of the most famous paintings ever created. The screening is free. Refreshments are available for a $3 donation.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• A new year, and a new chance to get your dance on, with In The Wings’ ‘New for 2’ special, running through the month. Students may enroll in a second class for just $2 per week. There are other January specials as well, like your first yoga class is free. See details, including eligible classes, on page 9 of the print edition.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be observed at all local schools Monday, Jan 20. Frazier Mountain High School, Frazier Park School, El Tejon School, Gorman Elementary and Peak to Peak Mountain Charter School will all be closed that day.
• Wind Wolves offers a Nature Hike Saturday, Jan. 25, 10 a.m. This casual guided hike goes from the Crossing Parking Lot to Ravens Landing and back, a total distance of about 2 miles, with some uphill sections. It’s a great outing for families looking to get some exercise together, and learn about wildlife and plats along the way. It’s free, but reservations are required and they book up early. Find link at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• Auto Safari of the Tule Elk Reserve is Saturday, January 25, 11 a.m.–1 p.m. at Tule Elk State Natural Reserve State Park (8653 Station Road, Buttonwillow). Fee is $8 per vehicle. For more information, call 661.849.3433.
• Love wildflowers? The marvelous California Poppy Reserve in the Western Antelope Valley is accepting volunteer applications for the upcoming wildflower season. This is an opportunity to learn and to serve. Two Saturday training sessions are required, February 1 and February 8, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Volunteer jobs include gift shop and visitor center staffing, walking trails and leading tours. No prior experience is needed. All ages from students to senior citizens are welcomed. Call 661.946.6900 or email Jean.Rhyne@parks.ca.gov to sign up.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
All month: Census Resource Scavenger Hunt and You Count! Census Coloring
Friday, Jan. 10
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Adult coloring and coffee)
Saturday, Jan. 11
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday
•11 a.m.–5 p.m. Census job recruiting
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library mtg.
Tuesday, Jan. 14
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Club
Wed., Jan. 15
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Local water board mtg.
Thursday, Jan. 16
•Noon 8 Treasures Qigong with Mary Miller
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the January 10, 2020 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.