For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Friday, March 6, 2020
• The ‘Angel & Angel’ Art Exhibit opens at Artworks Community Gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, PMV), noon to 4 p.m. See story pg. 10.
Saturday, March 7, 2020
• Fire Insurance Commission and California Fair Plan reps will answer all your questions, 8:30 a.m., The Lakes Community Center in Lake Hughes (SR138 to Three Points Rd. to 17520 Elizabeth Lake Road, Lake Hughes, 93532), a 40-min. beautiful drive from Frazier Park.
* Fascinating daredevil tales of Norwegian sailors helping to build our west coast, in a talk by Olaf Engvig, Scandinavian-American scholar, author, sailor and restorer of classic sailing vessels, 11 a.m., in the Pine Mountain Club Condor Room. All are welcome. See story on page 10.
• Get your burrito on! Chipotle fundraiser, 4–8 p.m. to support the El Tejon Middle School Badgers (I-5N to the Laval Road West exit to 5602 Dennis McCarthy Dr.). Say you’re there to support ETMS: 33% of your bill will go to student programs. See story on page 15.
• Nothing like a rousing game of Bingo, right? It happens 7–9 p.m. at the VFW Hall (612 Canada Trail, Frazier Park, 661.245.3273). No latecomers, as cards are now sold only until 7 p.m. Proceeds help fund good deeds for veterans and scholarships for kids.
Sunday, March 8, 2020
• Daylight savings returns at 2 a.m., when we ‘spring forward’ one hour. Plan ahead so you’re not late to Sunday brunch!
Wednesday, March 11, 2020
• More jobs! The 2020 Bakersfield Job Fest is 8 a.m.–12 p.m. (they say to arrive early) to Mechanics Bank Arena (formerly Rabobank Arena, 1001 Truxtun Ave., at N Street, Bakersfield). The Amazon Fulfillment Center (north of Bakersfield near Meadows Field) is recruiting for 1,500 employees. Be there!
Thursday, March 12, 2020
• Suicide Prevention & Awareness for Parents workshop is 6 p.m. at Gorman School auditorium (49847 Gorman School Road, Gorman). RSVP to school office, 661.248.6441 or email email@example.com. Due to the sensitive topic, this free event is for adults only.
• ‘Square Foot Gardening’ is the topic at tonight’s Soils & Composting session with Paul Vander Werf, from the California Gardening Club, 6 p.m. at Frazier Park Library.
Ongoing and Upcoming
* Perhaps the most important PMCPOA meeting of the year is Saturday, March 14, 10 a.m., when the agenda includes allocating the budget for the coming year. This is the ‘Members’ Budget Meeting’ designed to answer all your questions if you own property in PMC.
• In ‘Death of a River,’ ecological field biologist Lynn Stafford shows many photos, maps and stories illustrating how human intervention has changed the once magnificent Kern River, at the Sierra Club meeting, Sunday, March 15, 3 p.m. in the PMC Condor Room. For a taste, see page 3.
• Be Part of Solving the Fire Insurance Crisis—Come Help Get the Fire Safe Council Started— Thursday, March 19, 6:30 p.m. at the Chuchupate Mt. Pinos Ranger Station (34580 Lockwood Valley Road, Lake of the Woods). This is bootstrapping the way mountain peoople know how to bootstrap. We need you—people who can help organize the effort to educate the community to fire harden their homes, and build a Fire Wise Community pilot program to qualify for state funds to help retrofit homes. Come learn how you can help.
• Should Your Electric Bill Go Up? The California Public Utilities Commission wants to hear from you. Come to the ‘Public Participation Hearing’ (PPH), to give your input on Southern California Edison’s application to raise electricity rates twice, leading into 2021. The closest PPE’s are Wednesday, April 1 at 2 and 7 p.m., Lancaster City Hall Council Chambers (44933 N. Fern Avenue, Lancaster, 93036—a straight shot down SR138.)
• Edie Stafford’s Celebration of Life is Saturday, April 5, 1 p.m. at PMC Condor Room. Save the date. It’s a down-home potluck to honor the memory of the beloved woman who baked endless kugels and strudels while lobbying to bring a fire station and paramedics to Pine Mountain Club.
• Celebrate Earth Day’s 50th birthday with your mountain neighbors, Saturday, April 25, 11 a.m.–3 p.m., in Frazier Mountain Park. There will be fun, informative events for the whole family, plus a potluck lunch and drum circle. Volunteers are heartily invited: if you have ideas for an earth-centered game or can help in other ways, please contact Elke at Naiad4Life@gmail.com.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
All March: Join in the Family Recipe Exchange, Mapping our Melting Pot and more
Friday, March 6
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy (Adult coloring and coffee)
•11 a.m. Mindfulness class
•3 p.m. Hollitown Creative Academics
Saturday, March 7
•9 a.m. Yoga
•1 p.m. Writers on the Hill
Tuesday, March 10
•10:30 a.m. Fitness testing (for Inspire Schools students)
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•5:30 p.m. LEGO Club
Wed., March 11
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5:30 p.m. Frazier Park Bookworms
Thursday, March 12
•Noon 8 Treasures Qigong
•1 p.m. Qigong Healing Clinic
•6 p.m. Soils & Composting
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the March 6, 2020 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.