For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Saturday, March 14, 2020
* NOW CLOSED TO MEMBERS DUE TO CORONAVIRUS CONCERNS–The most important PMCPOA meeting of the year, 10 a.m. Management explains how they plan to spend your money for the next year, and explains assessment changes. The ‘Members’ Budget Meeting’ is designed to answer all your questions if you own property in PMC.
• An ‘Army Career Showcase’ is 11 a.m.–3 p.m. at Frazier Park Library, where everyone is welcome to come learn about what the Army can offer in benefits, opportunities and a sense of mission. See letter on page 4 of the print edition.
• An artists’ reception for the ‘Angel & Angel’ art exhibit is 5 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village). It is sure to be a rousing good time for this mother-son show, complete with refreshments and great conversation.
Sunday, March 15, 2020
• In ‘Death of a River,’ field biologist Lynn Stafford shares photos and stories to show how humans have changed the once magnificent Kern River. Everyone is welcome to the Sierra Club meeting, 3 p.m., Pine Mountain Club Condor Room (2524 Beechwood Way). See page 10 of the print edition.
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
* Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with special Irish-themed dinner fare and live music by the Celtic Jammers, 5–8 p.m. in the PMC Condor Lounge.
Thursday, March 19, 2020
• POSTPONED — Help Solve the Fire Insurance Crisis—Come Help Get the Fire Safe Council Started, 6:30 p.m. at the Chuchupate Mt. Pinos Ranger Station (34580 Lockwood Valley Road, Lake of the Woods). Mountain peoople know how to bootstrap. ‘We need you—people who can help organize the effort to educate the community,’ coordinators said. Learn to to fire-harden your home and build a Fire-Wise Community to qualify for fire-insurance discounts and to qualify for state funds to help retrofit our homes. Come learn how you can help. See story page 1 of the print edition.
• ‘Artflix at Artworks’ screens The Monuments Men, 6:30 p.m. at the gallery (16233 Pine Valley Lane, Pine Mountain Village), with a cast of favorites like George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray and John Goodman. The screening is free. Refreshments are available for a $3 donation.
Ongoing and Upcoming
• CANCELED — Wind Wolves Preserve’s 7th Annual Spring Nature Festival is Saturday and Sunday, March 21–22, offering free family-friendly activities in an outdoor gala of fun. Enjoy guided hikes, reptile exhibits, wildlife / wildflower viewing, family movies, virtual reality rock art tours and more. See directions and details by using the hotlink at www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• An alumni basketball game hosted by the boy’s varsity basketball team of Frazier Mountain High School is Saturday, March 21, 12:30 p.m. at the FMHS gym. Everyone is invited! Admission is free. Refreshments are a fundraiser. All proceeds support the FMHS boy’s basketball program.
• Coffee with a Cop is Saturday, March 28, 8–10 a.m at Falcon’s Nest (3216 Mt. Pinos Way, Frazier Park). Come enjoy free coffee and conversation in this informal setting to discuss community issues and build relationships. Assemblymember Vince Fong is the special guest, as officers from CHP Fort Tejon will address questions and concerns that may be on your mind. All community members are invited.
• At the Fire Preparedness Town Hall Saturday, March 28, 10 a.m. in the PMC Condor Room, see a wildfire preparedness film and get questions answered by Kern County Fire and Los Padres National Forest Fire Service about property clearance and other ways you can stay safe.
• Clear the air in your home: Toxic Roundup Household Hazardous Waste drop-off collection event is Saturday, March 28, 9 a.m.–noon at Lebec Transfer Station (300 Landfill Road, Lebec).
• Should Your Electric Bill Go Up? The California Public Utilities Commission wants to hear from you. Come to the ‘Public Participation Hearing’ (PPH), to give your input on Southern California Edison’s application to raise electricity rates twice, leading into 2021. The closest PPH’s are Wednesday, April 1 at 2 and 7 p.m., Lancaster City Hall Council Chambers (44933 N. Fern Avenue, Lancaster, 93036—a straight shot out SR138).
• Edie Stafford’s Celebration of Life is Sunday, April 5 at 1 p.m. [not Saturday, as published last week], at PMC Condor
Room. Save the date. It’s a down-home potluck to honor the memory of the beloved woman who baked endless kugels and strudels while lobbying to bring a fire station and paramedics to Pine Mountain Club.
• Celebrate Earth Day’s 50th birthday with your mountain neighbors, Saturday, April 25, 11 a.m.–3 p.m., in Frazier Mountain Park. There will be fun, informative events for the whole family, plus a potluck lunch and drum circle. Volunteers are heartily invited: if you have ideas for an earth-centered game or can help in other ways, please contact Elke at Naiad4Life@gmail.com.
At the Frazier Park Library
Hours: Tue., Wed., Thur. 11-7; Fri.-Sat. 9-5
3732 Park Drive, FP— 661-245-1267
All March: Join in the Family Recipe Exchange, Mapping our Melting Pot and more
Friday, March 13
•9 a.m. Color Me Happy
•11 a.m. Mindfulness class
•3 p.m. Hollitown Creative Academics — WILL BE HELD VIA SKYPE
Saturday, March 14
•9 a.m. Yoga
•10 a.m. Science Saturday — CANCELED
•11 a.m.–3 p.m. Army Job Fair
•2 p.m. Friends of the Library mtg. — CANCELED
Tuesday, March 17
•10:30 a.m. Fitness testing (for Inspire Schools students)
•11:30 a.m. Storytime
•2 p.m. Alzheimer’s Caregiver Support Group — CANCELED
Wed., March 18
•11 a.m. Quilting & Crafts
•3:30 p.m. Chess Club
•5 p.m. Water board meeting
Thursday, March 19
•Noon 8 Treasures Qigong
•1 p.m. Qigong Healing Clinic
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the March 13, 2020 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.