For listing in the newspaper and online, send community events by Thursday at 2 p.m. to Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com or call 661.245.3794
Special Senior Hours During Covid-19 Social Distancing
Frazier Park Market: Doors are opened 10–11 a.m. for seniors 65 and over, and those with special needs. They are then open 11 a.m.–9 p.m. for all other customers. Employees and shoppers are asked to please abide by the 6-feet-apart social distancing guidelines. No one will be allowed inside the store unless wearing a mask.
Dollar General: Doors are opened 8–9 a.m. for seniors and those at risk. They are then open 9 a.m.–9 p.m. for others.
Saturday, August 1, 2020
* This year, Pine Mountain Club’s Community Garage Sale, 9 a.m.–3 p.m., will take place at multiple locations—at the yards and garages of individual participants all across PMC. Watch your email or call the PMC office (661.242.3788) for an official address list.
• Raise your voice for Frazier Park Library! In advance of Kern County budget hearings August 3 and 4, let Supervisor Scrivner know how much you want our library reopened. Call 661.868.3660 and/or email PublicComment@Kern-County.com (Subject: Library Budget).
Thursday, August 6, 2020
• There will be no AARP activities at the Frazier Park Community Center or Senior Room for the rest of 2020. If you feel the need to just speak with someone, please call 888.281.0145 (toll-free) and request a call from an AARP Friendly Voice Volunteer.
Mountain Community Restaurant Service During Covid-19 Social Distancing
Bonnie’s Coffee Cantina: Bonnie’s Coffee Cantina has closed
Red Dot Vegetarian Kitchen: Take-out, 6 a.m.–9 p.m. daily: 661.245.4733
Big John’s Mountain Grill: Take-out, 7 a.m.–2:15 p.m. daily: 661.245.2292
La Sierra: Take-out or patio dining, cash only; 10 a.m.–7 p.m. Tues–Sat (live music Tues/Sat 6 p.m.), 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Sun: 661.245.3628
Sue’s Tavern: Closed until further notice.
Falcon’s Nest: Take-out, delivery or patio dining, 8 a.m.–6:30 p.m. Monday–Saturday; closed Sunday: 661.245.4400
Caveman Cavey’s Pizza: Patio dining, take-out, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Sunday–Thursday and 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Friday–Saturday: 661.245.1474
Pine Mountain Community
PMC Condor Café: Take-out, 8 a.m.–2 p.m. Wed–Sun: 661.242.3788
R&B Hideaway: Patio dining with live music on weekends. Call for hours: 661.242.0002
Perch in the Pines: Take-out food and bottled beer/wine; call for days/hours of service: 661.242.8439
La Leña: Patio dining or take-out, 10 a.m.–8:30 Sunday–Friday and 9 a.m.–8:30 p.m Saturdays: 661.242.2327
Basecamp: Patio dining and take-out (or home delivery for $3.50 fee), 11 a.m.–8 p.m. Wed–Sat, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Sun: 661.242.2709
Lake of the Woods
Mike’s Pizza: Take-out, 11 a.m.–8 p.m. Sunday–Thursday and 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Friday–Saturday: 661.245.2941
Los Piños Mexican Restaurant: Open for outdoor dining or take-out, 11 a.m.–8:30 p.m. daily: 661.248.1148
China Red House: Take-out, 10 a.m.–9 p.m. daily: 661.350.1172
Ongoing and Upcoming
• SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES NEEDED: The deadline is August 7 to step up to run for one of three seats on the Nov. ballot for El Tejon Unified School district board. District 1, 3 and 5 candidates are eligible (see interactive map at www.el-tejon.k12.ca.us to check your district). Visit kernvote.com/CandidateAndCampaign/PotentialCandidates or call 661.868.3590 to request the documents. The staff and students of ETUSD will thank you!
• Help rebuild critically low blood supplies at Houchin Community Blood Bank’s drive, Thursday, Aug. 6, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. at Pine Mountain clubhouse (2524 Beechwood Way). To save time and help maintain social distancing, sign up that morning at hotlink: www.MountainEnterprise.com.
• A ‘Feed the Need’ Drive-Through Distribution Saturday, Aug. 8, 11 a.m.–1 p.m., will give out water and snacks; toys; diapers/wipes; school supplies; hygiene products; clothes, blankets and snuggies; pet food and groceries. To received the distribution location, pre-register by calling the Mountain Communities Family Resource Center at 661.245.4303.
• You now have until August 14 to submit a comment on the new Los Padres National Forest logging project for Pine Mountain Ridge, (about a 38-mile drive from our area). The last of three virtual public meetings is August 13, 12–1:30 p.m. (link at www.MountainEnterprise.com).
• Virtual Narcotics Anonymous and Al-Anon meetings are available during the covid-19 crisis. For NA, go to www.kcna.org/meetings.html or submit a ‘Join group’ request at the private ‘Quarantine NA-Kern County’ Facebook group. For Al-Anon, visit the Al-Anon WSO virtual meetings webpage at al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/electronic-meetings/ or the ‘Al-Anon WSO’ Facebook page.
At the Frazier Park Library
*** Fans of Frazier Park Library, call for its reopening! See ‘Ongoing and Upcoming’ item #2, above for contact information. ***
On June 15, seven Kern County library branches opened for curbside service, including the one in Taft.
Reopening plans for Frazier Park Library are in question, pending Kern County budget and staffing decisions. See page 14 for more on this.
Meanwhile, using Kern County’s eLibrary you can get access to the digital collection, with no late fees, ever! At kerncountylibrary.org/elibrary/ you can find:
OverDrive for eBooks and eAudiobooks. Each title can be checked out for 21 days. Up to 30 titles can be checked out at a time.
Hoopla for eBooks, eAudiobooks and comic books. Stream movies, television and music. Each title can be checked out for 21 days. During this closure, you can take out up to 6 items a month!
RBDigital for eAudiobooks, up to 21-day checkout, and up to 10 titles at a time.
CloudLibrary for eBooks. Each title can be checked out for 14 days, with three titles at a time.
PLEASE NOTE: MANY OF THESE EVENTS MAY HAVE BEEN CANCELED.
COMMUNITY’S REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
•Qi Gong class 10–10:45 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center, FP. Free. Instructor is Mary Miller (661.245.3456)
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Rm, FP (661.245.1992)
•Frazier Mountain Quilters at Frazier Mtn. Park Senior Center
10 a.m.–3 p.m., FP. All needle crafts welcome. (Laverne 661.248.0487)
•Al-Anon Meetings 6:30–7:30 p.m. Family Res. Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way), FP (661.245.2557)
•Meals on Wheels Distribution (also Wednesday, Friday) 661.245.1952
•Family Story Time 11:30 a.m. at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•Canasta, Frazier Mtn. Park Community Ctr Senior Room,1 p.m.
•Girl Scout Troop 3613 Meeting 5:15 p.m. Family Resource Ctr mtg room (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Women’s AA Meeting 7–8 p.m.Family Resource Ctr mtg room
3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP (661.245.2557)
•Square Dancing at Cuddy Hall, 7 p.m. Call Don and Bethel (661.245.1882)
•Pine Mountain Christian Community Church Women’s Bible Study at the Activity Center,10 a.m. (661.242.1025), Pine Mtn Village
•Al-Anon Meeting 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. In PMC, behind gas station, next to gym.
•Chess: All ages welcome 3:30 p.m. Coach Bill Hopper teaches at Frazier Park Library (661.245.1267)
•MyC3 meeting 2–4 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, (3015 Mt. Pinos Way) FP 661.245.2557
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 661.245.2557
• Meals on Wheels distribution (also Mon., Fri.) 661.245.1952
Second and Fourth Wednesday
•Dept. of Human Services 9–11:30 a.m. Family Resource Ctr, FP.
No appt. needed.
•Senior Sack 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center 661.245.3409, FP
•Mountain Girls 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Pine Mountain Club; please RSVP (call or text) to 661.808.7959 for location and details.
•Senior Exercise 11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center Senior Room (661.245.1992)
•Mexican Train Dominoes, Frazier Mountain Park Community Center Senior Rm. 1 p.m. 661.245.1992
•Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (men’s stag) 7 p.m. 3143 San Carlos Trail, FP (661.245.1208)
•Scrappers Quilt Guild 8 a.m.–2 p.m. in Pool Pavilion at PMC Clubhouse
•AA Meeting is 6–7:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room,
(3015 Mt. Pinos Way, Ste. 102) in Frazier Park
•Meals on Wheels distributed (also Monday and Wednesday) 661.245.1952
•Park Run for Fun 8 a.m., from Frazier Mountain Park parking lot; leashed pets welcome
•Noon meditation and a brief dharma talk at Jizo Peace Center (2012 Pioneer
Way, PMC); call for information, and to confirm it is on: 661.242.6956.
•Bingo 7–9 p.m. VFW Hall, 612 Canada Trail, FP 245.3273
•Narcotics Anonymous Meeting 7 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP 245.2557
First and Third Saturday
•KYIS Knitting Guild meets at PMC Clubhouse Pool Pavilion 1–4 p.m.
•Writers’ Workshop, 1-4, Frazier Park Library.
•Mexican Train Dominoes and Canasta at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Ctr. Senior Room 1 p.m.
•Pine Mtn. Christian Community Church Youth Group, 5-6:30 p.m., meets at the Activity Center (log cabin), 661.242.1025
•AA meeting 7–8:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt Pinos Way, FP
•Frazier Park Elementary School PTSO meeting 2:30 p.m. in the staff lounge
•Kern County Search & Rescue, 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain Park Community Center, Frazier Park
•Salvation Army Commodities
11 a.m. Frazier Mtn. Park Community Center (805.727.6808)
•Ukulele jam at FP Library, 5 p.m.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Frazier Park mobile staff office hours are 10–11 a.m. at the Family Resource Ctr. (3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s Pine Mountain Club mobile staff office hours are 11:30-12:30 p.m. at the PMC Pool Pavilion (2524 Beechwood Way). For an appointment, call 661.327.3611.
•Assemblyman Vince Fong’s mobile staff office hours mirror Kevin McCarthy’s above: 10–11 a.m. in Frazier Park, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. in PMC.
•Mountain Communities Women in Business (MCWinBiz) meets, 11:30 a.m. at Falcon’s Nest
•AARP potluck meeting 11:45 a.m. at the Frazier Mountain Park Community Center
•Boys & Girls Club Board Mtg, 12 noon, Tejon Mountain Village office (661.663.4281)
•Pine Mountain Village Merchants Assn. meeting is 5 p.m. in the Condor Room, Pine Mountain Clubhouse 661.242.2035
•LOW Mutual Water Co. meeting is at 6 p.m., 7025 Cuddy Valley Rd., #F, Lake of the Woods
•VFW & Auxiliary 11 a.m. VFW Post Hall in Frazier Park
•FMHS Booster Club meets at 7 p.m. at Falcon’s Nest in FP
•Gorman Elementary School Board 3:30 p.m. at the school
•Lebec County Water District board meets 7 p.m. (2037 Lebec Rd, Lebec)
• Mountain Communities CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) meets 6 p.m. at Caveman Cavey’s
•Ridge Route Communities Museum Board Meeting 2 p.m. at the museum, FP
•South West Health Care District meeting 6 p.m. Frazier Mountain Community Health Center, Lebec
•Frazier Park Public Utility District board meeting 6 p.m. at office.
•ETUSD School Board 6:30 p.m. Frazier Mountain High School campus in the Condor Academy Building, Lebec (661.248.6247)
•Pine Mountain Town Hall 7–8 p.m. (661.242.3788)
•Scouts West 4 x 4 Club at Los Pinos, Lebec 10 a.m. (245.3250)
•PMC Clubhouse Task Force meets, 1 p.m., Condor Room
•Health Insurance Counseling 10 a.m.–12 p.m. Family Resource Ctr. Meeting Rm, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•South Kern Cemetery District board meeting 5:30 p.m. Arvin Library, Arvin
•Quilting and Crafts, 11 a.m., Frazier Park Library
•El Tejon PTSO meeting 5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room, 3015 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
•Shelter on the Hill Board, Tejon Ranch Natural Resource Bldg. 6 p.m. (661.245.5021) Members & guests
•McCASA meets 4-5:30 p.m. Family Resource Center meeting room downstairs, FP (661.245.4303)
•ArtFlix at Artworks, free film series, 6:30 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV 661.858.3130
•PMC Amateur Radio Club meeting, 6:45 p.m. Call for location 661.242.2211
•Men’s Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Pine Mtn Christian Community Church Activity Center, Pine Mountain Village
•Pine Mountain Gardeners meet 4–5:30 p.m., PMC Pool Pavilion (Judy Keim 661.242.0817)
Third Saturday (Even months only)
•Ham Radio Testing is at 12 noon at the Frazier Park Library
•Piñon Pines Water Board 6:30 p.m. Piñon Pines Community Building, 1001 Coldwater Drive
•Piñon Pines HOA, 6:30 p.m., firehouse in Piñon Pines.
Last Monday of the month
•Krista Mutual Water Co. board meeting 9 a.m. 3534 Mt. Pinos Way, FP
Last Thursday of the month
•Painting with Pam and Friends, 6 p.m. at Artworks Community Gallery, PMV, $30/person. Refreshments served. Call for reservations: 661.245.3444
Is Your Event Missing? Call 661-245-3794
or email Calendar@MountainEnterprise.com
This is part of the July 31, 2020 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.