Image 1 of 2
Almost like a festive "flash mob" about 180 people suddenly appeared out of the darkness to watch the annual lighting of the Pine Mountain Club POA Christmas tree, sip hot cocoa, sing some carols and then they vanished again into the night. Last year less than a third of this number attended, some parents observed.
Image 2 of 2
The Pine Mountain Christian Community Church provided music and the Pine Mountain Club POA provided hot drinks and cookies for the caroling and countdown to lighting the tree.
The toboggan ride through the holiday season began with that first delicious bite of turkey this Thanksgiving. Some went out into the night to stand in line for “Black Friday” sales at the Walmart at Porter Ranch. One Frazier Park teenager said she had a panic attack. Her family arrived just after the infamous “competitive shopping” pepper spray assault.
If you prefer to stay cozy on the mountain and save gas, look in your mailbox for December’s special “Shop the Mountain” issue of The New Mountain Pioneer. It is a guide to local gift shopping. In this paper, see our Community Calendar (always on page 4 in the print issue) for holiday happenings.
Don’t Miss These Events
- The “town Christmas tree” will be lit in Frazier Park on Friday, Dec. 2 at 4 p.m. The Girl Scouts host (next to La Sierra Restaurant on Mt. Pinos Way).
- On Saturday, Dec. 3 many shops will have an “open house” from about 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- At In the Wings Studio of Dance The Grinch will be performed at 4 p.m. You’ll also have a sneak peek preview of a performance to be given at the Condors game. •You’ll find cider and goodies at Dragonfly’s Garden (3121 Mt. Pinos Way) and lots of fun at Mountain Day Spa, (3634 Mt. Pinos Way) where artisans will have handmade work to sell from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Michi’s Magic Bookshelf Craft Club meets at Chatterpillar Toys, Gifts and Balloons at 1 p.m. Hot cocoa and treats will be served as kids make crafts and parents can shop.
- Ace Hardware will be giving out free Christmas stockings from 3-6 p.m.
- Cap it off by stopping in to the Work of HeArt Gallery (behind Coffee Cantina) for Matt Harrington’s Artist of the month free opening reception at 7 p.m.
- Santa Claus will come to Pine Mountain Village on Friday, Dec. 9 with lots of fun planned.
- Help decorate the Christmas tree at the new library on Saturday, Dec. 10. Bring a family photo to put on a decoration for the tree.
This is part of the December 02, 2011 online edition of The Mountain Enterprise.
Have an opinion on this matter? We'd like to hear from you.